Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed transmission misconceptions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 6 speed transmission misconceptions

Ok. So there's a lot of talk about newer f150 owners about the transmission maintenance. First off. The 6 speed in my 2011 definitely has a dipstick and can be checked when the truck is running and warmed up in neutral. The dipstick is on the side of the transmission hidden away from the engine bay. 2nd. The 6 speed absolutely has a changeable filter. Now my situation. I had the dealership "flush" the transmission fluid at 55k. Reason being the fluid was dark AND it pulled a big camper A LOT. So now I'm at 100k. I've almost 100 percent decided on having my transmission guy drop the pan, change the filter, and put new fluid. Unless somebody can convince me otherwise.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

All of this is common knowledge as there are lots of threads on this. If you tow a lot I believe the manual says to change it at 150k. If you don't tow its a lifetime fill. I don't see any harm in changing the fluid at regular intervals. I don't tow much and I plan on changing my fluid around 75k
Old 02-23-2018, 01:54 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

do it
Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also DO NOT follow the Ford Manual guidelines for maintenance. 150,000 miles for heavy duty and "Lifetime" for general duty is a joke. Vehicle manufacturers are in the business to sell vehicles and parts. Found this out the hard way at 85,000 miles when my transmission started leaking, went to the dealer found out the fluid was all burned up, had gotten low, and was beginning to leak out the seal between the oil pan and bottom of transmission. My transmission now shifts a little funny from time to time and I'm not sure just how much life it has left before a rebuild is needed. The Ford tech I talked to at the dealership told me that Ford's recommended intervals are a joke and that it is a scheme to sell more parts. He also told me that on average they do transmission flushes at every 65,000 miles. Its not that the 6r80 is a bad transmission, but the fluid we fill them with will only take so much punishment. After all at the end of the day no matter how many additives you add, it is still just regular or lab made dino juice.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Braap Johnson
Also DO NOT follow the Ford Manual guidelines for maintenance. 150,000 miles for heavy duty and "Lifetime" for general duty is a joke. Vehicle manufacturers are in the business to sell vehicles and parts. Found this out the hard way at 85,000 miles when my transmission started leaking, went to the dealer found out the fluid was all burned up, had gotten low, and was beginning to leak out the seal between the oil pan and bottom of transmission. My transmission now shifts a little funny from time to time and I'm not sure just how much life it has left before a rebuild is needed. The Ford tech I talked to at the dealership told me that Ford's recommended intervals are a joke and that it is a scheme to sell more parts. He also told me that on average they do transmission flushes at every 65,000 miles. Its not that the 6r80 is a bad transmission, but the fluid we fill them with will only take so much punishment. After all at the end of the day no matter how many additives you add, it is still just regular or lab made dino juice.
Yes indeed. Yes indeed. I'm not selling my truck because it's nearly paid off BUT I'll never own another Ford. You should see the problems we have with the explorers and Taurus vehicles at work. We're only getting 50k out of them before engine or transmission failures. Not to mention the emissions, suspensions, and all the other issues we're having. We have vics with 150k plus miles still in use. My f150 had an engine and rear end replaced at 57k under warranty for factory defects.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
do it
yes
Old 02-23-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is one of a few area of maintenance i really overlook the manuals recommendations. I do however use the specified mercon grade for my trans but I'm at 172xxx and she shifts and drives great I've changed filter/fluid a few times i strive for 60xxx mi I also change my rear diff yearly due to boat launching frequently and potential water infiltration due to one launch site in particular where we have to dip a partial part of the diff. It may be overkill or not necessary but it wont hurt anything but my wallet, it is fun to me to do the service and I get fluids very cheap so it works for me. I guess my point is if your questioning if you should change it change it.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Miles don't hurt transmission fluid, heat does. There are lots of vehicles out there with 200,000-300,000 miles on them with the original transmission fluid that still run fine. There are vehicles out there with 50,000 miles on them that have fried transmissions because they were run hot and the fluid not changed.

If you don't tow much, and only with lighter loads it probably isn't cost effective to ever change the fluid. At somewhere between 300K-400K you're going to need a new transmission either way.

The more time you spend with the transmission above 220 degrees the more often you need to change. Ever hit 250 degrees and you should change it ASAP even if you just changed it 2 weeks ago. Never let it get much over 200 degrees and the fluid may last longer than the rest of the truck.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Even with towing I never noticed my transmission peaking over 215F. I changed my fluid at 50k miles and it was pretty nasty, but I expected that with how hard I work the truck. I'll be changing it again when I hit 100K this spring. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I am doing mine at 30K as well as the bulkhead o-rings, then changing fluid and filter every 50K after that.

Quick Reply: 6 speed transmission misconceptions