Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.2 Harley vs. Platinum Exhaust Note

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
PRO RKBA

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 6.2 Harley vs. Platinum Stock Exhaust Note

Obviously, its the same engine, but is it the same stock exhaust system / sound?

Double exhaust tip on the Harley, but is that just the tip?

Last edited by 6.2screw; 08-15-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Different exhaust system on the Harley and Raptor. However, I think the system is the same between the Harley and Raptor 145" crew, slightly louder inside and out

There's better aftermarket systems out there.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe they are the same from the manifold to the muffler. The Harleys/Raptors have a different muffler (and tip) configuration to produce more rumble. I would guess they are interchangeable and use the same hangers, etc.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
I believe they are the same from the manifold to the muffler. The Harleys/Raptors have a different muffler (and tip) configuration to produce more rumble. I would guess they are interchangeable and use the same hangers, etc.
I think that the resonators might actually be different also. A while back I was considering a Raptor exhaust system for my Lariat. When I went to the fordparts website, they showed what looked like two different resonators. One for the Harley/Raptor, and one for all other trims with the 6.2. The Lariat/Platinum trims have larger resonators to dampen the sound. I believe I saw some pictures of the stock resonators to confirm this.
The following users liked this post:
BMWBig6 (08-18-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually trying to get a straight answer from Corsa about the available kits that they have. I've read a few different posts that say that the platinum & lariat trucks have a 2.5" mid pipe and the Raptor/HD have a 3" mid pipe. I havent looked under a lariat or platinum but this is the size of mine on my HD
Attached Thumbnails 6.2 Harley vs. Platinum Exhaust Note-img_1058.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdowntexas
I think that the resonators might actually be different also. A while back I was considering a Raptor exhaust system for my Lariat. When I went to the fordparts website, they showed what looked like two different resonators. One for the Harley/Raptor, and one for all other trims with the 6.2. The Lariat/Platinum trims have larger resonators to dampen the sound. I believe I saw some pictures of the stock resonators to confirm this.
Thanks, if this is true, I stand corrected!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GF7PE
I'm actually trying to get a straight answer from Corsa about the available kits that they have. I've read a few different posts that say that the platinum & lariat trucks have a 2.5" mid pipe and the Raptor/HD have a 3" mid pipe. I havent looked under a lariat or platinum but this is the size of mine on my HD

That picture isn't the mid-pipe, that's the Cat/Y-pipe. (Well, you have a bit of the mid pipe showing on the left...)

Here's how my 2012 Lariat SuperCrew, 6.2L, 157" wheelbase (6.5' bed) is configured::

CAT/Y-PIPE:
  • I believe this is the same for all 6.2L motors. Definitely different than that for 5.0/Ecoboost, because the ball joint/mid-pipe flange on those motors is ~1/2" smaller. Looks to be at least 3" in diameter.
MID-PIPE / Resonator:
  • Appears to start around 2.75" to 3" but quickly necks down to ~2.5". The clamp at the end slides directly over 2.5" pipe.
  • Length varies due to cab configuration, mine is ~40 something inches long if I remember correctly.
MUFFLER:
  • Starts at 2.5" to mate with the resonator. Muffler appears to be ~2.75" in / 3" out. (The pipe increases in size right after the resonator connection.)
TAILPIPE:
  • 3" single side exit

I having a hell of a time trying to figure out if there are any off the shelf options for this truck that wouldn't require me to cut the resonator pipe and adapt it up to 3" diameter. Nobody seems to offer the 6.2L mid-pipe with the larger flange as part of their kit. I will NOT cut these stock parts since they're friggin' expensive if I never needed to revert back.

If I could find a donor resonator, I'd weld up a little 3" extension to the flange (toss the resonator itself) and then I could just use adapters to mate with any brand exhaust using the right mid-pipe length. I assume that everything from the muffler back to the tailpipes hangs the same way on all cab configurations.

Maybe if more 157" 6.2's are out on the market these companies will develop better options.

Quick Reply: 6.2 Harley vs. Platinum Exhaust Note