Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 SCT Custom tunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Ford Blue Oval Guy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.0 SCT Custom tunes

I have done tons of searching and I have come up with that 5 Star has good tuning products and reviews on the SCT platform. I like SCT and know how to use it and have always had good luck with it.I just want to hear from anyone else who has other brand custom tunes for the 5.0 engine like: JLP, Livernois, VMP, MPT, PHP etc. And any other companys doing it. I just want to get best and most out of my buck since thats what I'm using my income tax return on.Any and all input is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Custom User Title

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a lund tune. No complaints.
Where I got it.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...tom-tuned.html

Paid 475 shipped.

Heres my before and after video. I live in colorado springs so that altitude affects performance quite a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHTJS8Mhcw

The shifts are crisper. The powerband has power gains through out the entire powerband. They are good with the mustangs so i gave them a shot with the f150 and im happy. I dont really have anything other to compare it to.

I havent had it long enough to get a good mileage reading. And at the same time i put on 33's and a leveling kit. So i cant compare fuel mileage.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Ford Blue Oval Guy

Brent G- it's looks like that Jon Lund tune brought your truck to life. Is that a performance tune and what octane?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Custom User Title

It's a 93
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Ford Blue Oval Guy

How is there turn around time and customer service?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Custom User Title

From date of order to the time i got it was a week and half. It was around all the holidays so it probably would have been sooner. I had a revision to do when i got the tires changed to 33's. (the new software update doesnt allow you to do it yourself prior to installing the tune) so it had to get revised at Lund.

So you just fill out the form on his site. Once it was submitted i had an email in 3 days with the revision. So its not the quickest i guess.

I used BBR in the past with my mustang and the turn around was a little faster. But i didnt like the tune as much as i do with the truck. Its very smooth and alot better driveability.

You can send in data logs if you want them to check it out etc, but its a first come first served thing. So thats the only thing.

All the updates are free (intakes, exhaust, headers etc) but if you decided to go to a boosted application you will have to pay for that and receive remote tuning etc.

I might in the future try a 5star to compare the two tunes but i just dont feel like spending the extra money right now to probably get a similar tune. Who knows though.

I have zero complaints.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Ford Blue Oval Guy

That's the stuff I'm wanting hear. Well I'll keep all this in mind, and thanks for your input.
Maybe some more ppl will chime in on this as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Project: Big Red

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought that I would just throw it out there that I have the custom tunes from Mike over at 5 Star Tuning. I am happy with my truck so far and have had no problems at all. I have ran the Economy 87 tune for about 3,000 miles so far and I have seen the increased MPG and power gains, but this morning I actually decided to load and try out the Performance 87 tune that I got from him as well and all I can say is, WOW!

It makes my truck just ridiculous right now and kind of scary cause it's just very awake when you touch the gas just a little bit at all. Which is nice, but can definitely ruin my MPG at the end of the day.

I've given some thought to trying out some custom tuning from other places, but I just don't justify spending the extra money to "try out" the other tunes. I might if I come across some extra money just laying around, but that isn't often since I put most of it in my truck, haha!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Ford Blue Oval Guy

Thanks for you input JVPPC187. 5 star seems to be a real big winner.
So you can tell a real difference between the economy and performance tunes?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I am really interested in trying one of the tunes myself. I am not so much interested in the power gains as I am correcting the annoying shudder or bump as some call it with my 5.0. If I were to have performance gains in MPG or power that would be a bonus. I dont think Ford is ever going to do anything about the shudder themselves.

I would also like for the tuner to be able to adjust for tire size / speedo... I cant seem to figure out which ones will and which one will not. The 5 star seems to get rave reviews but I think I read where it does not have the ability to correct the speedo...

Greg

Quick Reply: 5.0 SCT Custom tunes