Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40k Miles Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 40k Miles Service

Hi all,

My 2011 just ticked over 40k miles and I'm wondering if there is any major servicing that needs to be done. I've checked my owners manual and the web and seen a few different recommendations. The owners manual shows a 30k mile service and a 60k mile service with regular oil changes, air filters and tire rotations in between. I had the oil changed on my truck a few months ago and the dealer recommended front and rear diff fluid flush, transmission fluid flush, transfer case flush and brake fluid flush.

I'm all about keeping the truck in shape as I plan on keeping it a long time but is a full fluid flush necessary. I can't tell if it was an actual recommendation by the dealer or if they were just trying to sell me on more service.

Looking for thoughts and advice.

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

What's the difference between an actual recommendation from the dealer and them trying to sell you more service?

What the dealer recommends is irrelevant, it's what the manufacturer recommends that matters. Dealers always recommend things that aren't necessary because they want to boost revenue. Go by the manual, do what it says, and that's it.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When you do service things like coolant and trans, always do a flush. Draining and filling does nothing but change a portion of the fluid in a given system. 25% new fluid, 75% old. My dealer typically recommends things as needed based on actual condition or age. Mileage does play a role, but if you have 40k and your trans fluid looks good, we will leave it alone.

Depending on your driving locale and style, there are multiple maintenance schedules recommended by Ford. You can most easily break these down into "normal duty" or "severe duty." Under the normal schedule, the only additional item that is recommended outside of oil changes and tire rotations between new and your current 40k point is air filter replacement. We typically see 15-20k life out of them, Ford expects as much as 30k. This obviously varies greatly. At 60k under the severe schedule is when you see the first additional items in spark plugs and transfer case fluid (4x4).

All that being said, there are some vehicles that Ford says can go 150,000 miles without changing transmission fluid. I don't know about you, but I would never, ever go even close to that long. 30k is the soonest, I personally wouldn't go past 60. When I worked as a tech for Chevy, a customer brought in a 10 year old K1500 with 120k for a trans flush. Insisted on it. After we flushed it, the truck wouldn't move. No good.

Don't automatically dismiss dealer recommendations just because they come from the dealer. Yes, we are for profit organizations but aren't looking to screw you. You can decline anything you want and choose to do things on what you believe is the best schedule...just please maintain your vehicle the best that you can. Don't find yourself without a warranty and having a problem that could have been prevented by maintenance.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

You have to remember that cost of maintenance is a selling point and that because of that many automakers make recommendations for service that don't maximize the life of the vehicle.

Brake fluid should be flushed every 2 to 3 years, most European auto makers will stress this because of the water build that will occur in the fluid over time, this can cause the brake fluid to boil if it becomes excessive and it can also create sediment and sludge to form in the brake system, most often seen collecting in the master cylinder and calipers.

Your diff fluid may need to be changed if you go through a lot of deep water but it's probably just fine. If it were my truck I'd probably just change it with a quality synthetic and not worry about it for the next 100k. Now if you routinely encounter deep water then I'd stick with cheap conventional gear oil and change it more often.

Your transmission and transfer case fluids are also probably fine, but many potential problems can be prevented by changing them early. I would personally drain and refill the trans fluid every 30-40k and change the filter every other fluid change (To be honest though on my truck I'll probably change the filter and fluid every 30K). Your transfer case is subject to a lot less heat then your trans so I typical recommend draining and refilling the fluid with every other transmission service (60-80K), but with the fluid capacity being so low on our transfer cases I'm also inclined to just change mine every 30K as the cost is just $30 in fluid.

If you plan on keeping your truck for the long haul then these maintenance items will become important, but if you don't see yourself keeping it much past 100K any issues that arise from lack of maintenance will probably be the next guy's problem. Most driveline and brake system issues seem to first pop up around 120-160K on the trucks I work on.

I know many people will have varied opinions, but that's my professional opinion for what it's worth and I'm an ASE L1 Master Automobile Technician.
The following users liked this post:
NE Ford (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 AM

Great post SALEEN961. A daily battle I have with customers is explaining why maintenance done earlier than the book says is important. The manufacturers make it seem as if their car can be driven forever and ever with nothing more than oil changes and the occasional air filter. Then it's me who gets screamed at or told I am a crook and a liar for recommending things earlier than the book AND when something fails out of warranty and could have been prevented by maintenance.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Really appreciate the feedback everyone. Don't get me wrong, I truly value the dealer's input and recommendations however in this case I was a bit confused because when the service manager recommended the service I asked if anything was wrong with the truck and their response was, 'nothing wrong, it's just something we normally do with vehicles around 40K miles.' If they came back and said they checked the fluid and it was junk I would have been more inclined to accept the service.

I completely understand the benefit of preventative maintenance and staying ahead of issues. I was just a bit shocked when they suggested I flush everything. I've had a few dealers take me for a ride on earlier service so my apologies if I offended any dealer employees.

I also just realized I had my tranny flushed 7k miles ago on a TSB issue so I'm good there.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WMT21184
When you do service things like coolant and trans, always do a flush. Draining and filling does nothing but change a portion of the fluid in a given system. 25% new fluid, 75% old. My dealer typically recommends things as needed based on actual condition or age. Mileage does play a role, but if you have 40k and your trans fluid looks good, we will leave it alone.

Depending on your driving locale and style, there are multiple maintenance schedules recommended by Ford. You can most easily break these down into "normal duty" or "severe duty." Under the normal schedule, the only additional item that is recommended outside of oil changes and tire rotations between new and your current 40k point is air filter replacement. We typically see 15-20k life out of them, Ford expects as much as 30k. This obviously varies greatly. At 60k under the severe schedule is when you see the first additional items in spark plugs and transfer case fluid (4x4).

All that being said, there are some vehicles that Ford says can go 150,000 miles without changing transmission fluid. I don't know about you, but I would never, ever go even close to that long. 30k is the soonest, I personally wouldn't go past 60. When I worked as a tech for Chevy, a customer brought in a 10 year old K1500 with 120k for a trans flush. Insisted on it. After we flushed it, the truck wouldn't move. No good.

Don't automatically dismiss dealer recommendations just because they come from the dealer. Yes, we are for profit organizations but aren't looking to screw you. You can decline anything you want and choose to do things on what you believe is the best schedule...just please maintain your vehicle the best that you can. Don't find yourself without a warranty and having a problem that could have been prevented by maintenance.
I have a used 2010 XLT 4.6L with 180K when I bought it and no idea if the Trans has ever been serviced. I have heard these stories before about changing the fluid and all goes to ****. What would you recommend?
PS. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Go Broncos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of differing opinions on whether or not to flush the transmission. I personally would NOT due to potential for metal shavings that collect on the magnets to get into areas it's not supposed to and damage something during the flush. Drain and refill with a filter change should be adequate. Search function will answer your questions if you are concerned.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tpc1210
I have a used 2010 XLT 4.6L with 180K when I bought it and no idea if the Trans has ever been serviced. I have heard these stories before about changing the fluid and all goes to ****. What would you recommend?
PS. Sorry for the hijack.
The reason people have issues when doing the first transmission fluid flush at such a high mileage mark is because over time you get crud (lack of a better word) that builds up in the transmission, when you do a flush it can dislodge this crud and cause issues. If you just drain and fill you shouldnt have this issue. Some care manufacturers claim to have a "lifetime" fluid in the transmission, that lifetime is how long the transmission itself lasts, not the vehicle. I would drop the pan and change the fluid and filter.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 PM

Not offended at all, we do see certain common trends when it comes to service, and we do like to follow somewhat of a schedule. Around 30k, it starts to become a good idea to look towards those flushes. His presentation of the recommended work to you could have been better so that it makes sense. My personal schedule is oil and filter with a tire rotation every 5k, trans and coolant every 30k, brake fluid every 2-3 years.
The following users liked this post:
NE Ford (02-23-2015)

Quick Reply: 40k Miles Service