Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 wheel drive issues please advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Camden Tennis

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4 wheel drive issues please advise

I have a 2010 platinum put it in 4 wheel drive for the 1st time ever. I heard some grinding. Took it to dealer and they stated I had a pinion seal leak and they would look at 4 wheel drive. Once they took it apart they stated a bolt fell off in the 4x4 transfer case and was making the grinding noise. They kept it for 3 weeks to fix. I just got it back today. Drove it home put it in 4 wheel drive and when I turn the wheels to the right it makes a loud clicking grinding noise. I noticed I still have a oil leak in the transfer cAse? Does anyone have experience with this? I hate to leave this with them again. The tech was about 19 years old and had limited knowledge about 4x4. I emailed ford corporate. Please help and advice would be good advice.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

what sort of terrain did you test the 4wd in? sounds like the lashing wasnt dialed in correctly
Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

do not use 4wd on dry pavement, only use it off road, or in rain/snow if required.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine grinds too while in 4x4 and slightly turning. Everyone on another thread said "READ YOUR MANUAL!!!" and said it was ABS. I don't know about that, though...
Old 12-31-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

"...it was ABS" - that is A load of BS.
NEVER use 4x4 on a hard surface. At least one tire needs to be able to slip or the drivetrain will bind. The noise you call grinding may be binding if you are unfamiliar with how the system works.
I click my truck into 4x4 at least once a week to make sure all the seals and bearing surfaces stay lubed and I would rather find a problem near home than out in the woods.
NOT using the system will cause the seals to fail.
I have never had a seal fail on on a 4x4 system on any of the 7 4x4's I've owned.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tupelo? Mississippi? Was the road at least wet when you were driving around in 4 wheel drive AND TURNING?! If so, you are the one with limited knowledge about 4x4 and you shouldn't talk about the 19 year old tech who probably does, as he fixed the truck.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Camden Tennis

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned lots of 4X4 vehicles in the past. I only engage 4 wheel drive while off the road. Today I drove off the road in to an empty lot full or red clay and wet grass. I then engaged both 4 high and 4 low to see what the problem is. I have only had the vehicle for 6 months and last month was the first chance i got off the road to try 4 wheel drive. We were on some soft ground and I actually got stuck for a moment and switched to 4 high. As soon as I put it into gear just driving straight it was making a loud groan. It actually was pretty bad and you would hear this groaning until the car stopped moving. I have read the owners manual as I do with every vehicle. I wouldnt by a 50K 4X4 truck and just go driving around in 4X4 on the pavement! I sent corporate an email hoping i get a reply. I just dont want to let them work on my truck for 20 days to replace a seal or a part in the transfer case. Sorry to be defensive the dealer already accused me of improperly using the 4X4 to create the problem! Has anyone else been through this before?

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive issues please advise