Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Brake Light Fix Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:02 AM

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts
Default 3rd Brake Light Fix Help

Guys.. tomorrow I need to fix my 3rd brake light. A few weeks ago I installed LED cargo lights and when I did the gasket fell apart (2011, XLT). I put it back together then using that same screwed up gasket and I need to seal it right.

I read a lot of how to's and a lot of them say to use silicone. No problem. I have some (white like my truck).... My question is....do I put the silicone on the light housing and let it set up before putting back on the truck, or, put it back on wet and let it cure that way! I am thinking if I let it set before putting it back on it will form a protruding seal that will seal tight when I put the housing back on and tighten the screws back in. Is this a bad idea?

Any experience doing this, or any other ideas (use rubber, etc)......

I need to get this done before it starts raining. Just looking for any tips and ideas....thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Using silicone, I would definitely apply It to the light and let it set up before installing. Personally I would look around for some replacement self adhering weather strip material, which should be availabe at any auto parts or home store. Silicone is just too messy for me. Good luck with you project!
The following users liked this post:
Floored150 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use silicone. I had the same issue, replaced my cargo lights with LED's and the gasket fell apart. I ended up using window or door weather stripping. Got it from home depot and its called comfort seal, it comes in a roll 17' long and you can get different sizes, the stuff i used was 3/8 wide by 1/4 thick. It's got a really sticky back. Unroll what you need stick it on screw light back on and your good to go. With silicon if you need to get back in there, which you will eventually if your like me and always messin with stuff It'll be a pain.
The following users liked this post:
Floored150 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Two votes against silicone. Thank you both, i have some RV weatherstripping. It's pretty solid, may be too solid. I'll give that a shot. Not sure how to get the long strip into a rectangle seal without cutting. It might be flexible enough.

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light Fix Help