Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 FX4 Vibration Under Braking - Not Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2014 FX4 Vibration Under Braking - Not Rotors?

My truck is a 2014 FX4 super crew with the ecoboost. I currently have 56,000 miles on it. I had new tires put on around 51,000 and new rear brakes around the same time. The front brakes were done around roughly 35,000-40,000.

A couple months ago, probably 2,500 miles a vibration developed that is pretty severe. It only happens under braking, is somewhat inconsistent, but definitely gets worse as speed increases. There is no shaking in the steering wheel and little if any pulsation in the brake pedal.

I put an indicator on the rotors and saw .0025"-.003" of runout in the rear rotors and .0015"-.002" of runout in the front rotors. It feels like it's coming from the rear so I pulled the rear brakes off, made sure the pads were free, no e-brake dragging, and rotors were sitting flat. There was no indication whatsoever that there was a problem. Put everything back together and the vibration seemed to get better. The next morning it was back and just as bad as ever.

Based on the symptoms I was convinced it had to be rear rotors being warped so I put a new set of pads and rotors on today, but after a test drive, it is still there.

Is there any known issues like this or something I should check? Could it be in the rear end? The truck drives fine other than braking so I don't think it is a tire issue and no vibration in the steering wheel and lower runout readings point me away from front brakes. I am looking for ideas before I start throwing money at guesses. Any help would be appreciated.

Craig
Old 09-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have similar symptoms with my 2010.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ive had this a few times , i just do a pretty hard brake from 70 mph to 30 mph in a safe place and its smoothed out
Old 04-04-2021, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

Hey Craig,
I have the same exact problem. Any chance you figured this out a few years ago when you posted this? I've had my rotors replace multiple times but issue keeps coming back. Tired of spending money on this... Really appreciate any advice

Thanks,
Mike
Originally Posted by Vanharca
My truck is a 2014 FX4 super crew with the ecoboost. I currently have 56,000 miles on it. I had new tires put on around 51,000 and new rear brakes around the same time. The front brakes were done around roughly 35,000-40,000.

A couple months ago, probably 2,500 miles a vibration developed that is pretty severe. It only happens under braking, is somewhat inconsistent, but definitely gets worse as speed increases. There is no shaking in the steering wheel and little if any pulsation in the brake pedal.

I put an indicator on the rotors and saw .0025"-.003" of runout in the rear rotors and .0015"-.002" of runout in the front rotors. It feels like it's coming from the rear so I pulled the rear brakes off, made sure the pads were free, no e-brake dragging, and rotors were sitting flat. There was no indication whatsoever that there was a problem. Put everything back together and the vibration seemed to get better. The next morning it was back and just as bad as ever.

Based on the symptoms I was convinced it had to be rear rotors being warped so I put a new set of pads and rotors on today, but after a test drive, it is still there.

Is there any known issues like this or something I should check? Could it be in the rear end? The truck drives fine other than braking so I don't think it is a tire issue and no vibration in the steering wheel and lower runout readings point me away from front brakes. I am looking for ideas before I start throwing money at guesses. Any help would be appreciated.

Craig
Old 04-05-2021, 09:55 PM

Received 183 Likes on 112 Posts

The front rotors are warped. Very common problem.

get a set of the Powerstop drilled/ slotted rotors and you will never have the issue again.

Quick Reply: 2014 FX4 Vibration Under Braking - Not Rotors?