Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013..keep it or trade up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 2013..keep it or trade up?

So I've been reading all the threads about issues with the 2013 model...buzzy speaker (which I have), potential for rear window to explode, leaking water pumps and gaskets, leaky 3rd brake light, 5.0 tick (which I have) and I've been wondering if I should just trade up. I have a mint 2013 Blue Flame FX4 with only 23.5k on the odo. Owned it since new. Im perfectly happy with the truck but the issues worry me. I do not have an extended warranty but clearly I dont put on many miles as I work from home. So it's either I trade up or keep what I have and do a front level and some stock 20's.

What would ya'll do? Just looking for different points of view.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jjferrante
So I've been reading all the threads about issues with the 2013 model...buzzy speaker (which I have), potential for rear window to explode, leaking water pumps and gaskets, leaky 3rd brake light, 5.0 tick (which I have) and I've been wondering if I should just trade up. I have a mint 2013 Blue Flame FX4 with only 23.5k on the odo. Owned it since new. Im perfectly happy with the truck but the issues worry me. I do not have an extended warranty but clearly I dont put on many miles as I work from home. So it's either I trade up or keep what I have and do a front level and some stock 20's.

Keep it. Still new with that amount of miles.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:30 PM

Received 405 Likes on 329 Posts

I say, keep it, every vehicle made has its own set of problems.

Unless, it's been deemed a lemon, which I've not heard about our pickups.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Put $2,000 in a saving account for any issues that might crop up with the engine, and keep on driving your mint 2013 FX4.

- The rear window exploding is very rare, If you are afraid of it happening, just disconnect the power cable to it, otherwise, put an extra $500 in that saving account.
- Buzzy speakers, is an easy fix, locate the bad one and replace it, they run about $20-$30 on eBay, or get better ones from Crutchfield.
- For the 3rd brake light, replace the gasket preemptively.

Odds are in your favor and in two years, you will be happier without that new truck payment, with $2,550 siting in savings and the trade in value of that 2013, ready as a down payment on that shiny new 2020 F150 Lariat with the Sports and Appearance packages. well that's my plan at least.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

So I've been reading all the threads about issues with the 2013 model...buzzy speaker (which I have) install some 6x8 after market speakers like infinity which is what I did, potential for rear window to explode,If it hasn't yet it probably won't leaking water pumps and gaskets, again if it aint leaking its probably good leaky 3rd brake light, take it off and line it with some silicone, takes 5 minutes 5.0 tick (which I have) tick? I got eco and I've been wondering if I should just trade up. I have a mint 2013 Blue Flame FX4 with only 23.5k on the odo. Owned it since new. Im perfectly happy with the truck but the issues worry me. I do not have an extended warranty but clearly I dont put on many miles as I work from home. So it's either I trade up or keep what I have and do a front level and some stock 20's.

Keep it!!!!!!
For what a trade up will cost you you'll still be ahead even if you do have to fix something!
You'll get rid of a potentially good truck and then get something newer but better? And then what get e new truck with newer problems.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
Put $2,000 in a saving account for any issues that might crop up with the engine, and keep on driving your mint 2013 FX4.

- The rear window exploding is very rare, If you are afraid of it happening, just disconnect the power cable to it, otherwise, put an extra $500 in that saving account.
- Buzzy speakers, is an easy fix, locate the bad one and replace it, they run about $20-$30 on eBay, or get better ones from Crutchfield.
- For the 3rd brake light, replace the gasket preemptively.

Odds are in your favor and in two years, you will be happier without that new truck payment, with $2,550 siting in savings and the trade in value of that 2013, ready as a down payment on that shiny new 2020 F150 Lariat with the Sports and Appearance packages. well that's my plan at least.
This....
Old 01-17-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Our esteemed regulars have it nailed, keep it. My only contributions is regarding the rear window. Don't pull the power cable, that'll kill the mirror defrost. Pull the ground at the lower left (driver side) corner. Everything else is an easy fix and the tick may just be the injectors. Even if not, they usually don't get worse.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

Keep it until it starts costing you money, then trade it in.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 232 Likes on 149 Posts

I’m asking myself the same question..2013 5.0. 40000 miles.. I’ve had the water pump go out...4 wheel drive switch go bad that locked my electric rear.(even though I’ve never used it). And today I just back from dealership after noticing coolant leaking. It’s the infamous t connector o ring...they want 450 dollars to fix but the part is back ordered because of the problem. Maybe weeks before they get it in. I just watched a YouTube video on how to replace the o ring so I may try fixing it myself. If I can find an o ring. While I was at the dealership I asked for an out the door price on a new model just for the hell of it. Love this truck but I’m second guessing Ford lately.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Don't enable the defrost at all. I've dealt with below freezing temps for the last few weeks and still don't need it.

Quick Reply: 2013..keep it or trade up?