Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Ford F-150 won't pass inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Default 2013 Ford F-150 won't pass inspection

2013 ford f-150 with ecoboost 16k miles, have tried 8 times to get a inspection and it fails because the02 heater and cat readings are not complete. Readieness test not complete. It had a programmer in it the first 6 times (sct x4 canned tunes) dealer ship said that had to be causing it. Took it out and drove it some more. I don't drive the truck much but I have burned almost half a tank of fuel with no code clearings or battery disconnect and a little more then that with it stock. I am trying to take it to a county that doesn't do emission testing next, I use the truck more in a county that doesn't have emissions then in the county that does so I can sign a piece of paper for that and be legal but I also feel like the truck should work. The truck is registered to a emission county but i live in one thats not, but I was like hey new truck shouldn't be a issue. Not so much! The truck has never had a emission test before so this may have been a problem since day one. Curious if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Man that sucks, so glad I don't have to deal with this crap! If there was an emission issue, the truck should trigger a CEL. Are you under warranty? If so, take it to a dealer and hope they can figure it out.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Bottom line is have the dealer fix it. Its under warranty and there is no way it should be failing emmisions
The following users liked this post:
yotehunter (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Ford Accessories Manager

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
Bottom line is have the dealer fix it. Its under warranty and there is no way it should be failing emmisions
It's not actually "failing". It just doesn't have enough history in the computers to give an accurate reading. We find that being a common problem in extreme cold, after the battery has died or been disconnected.

Has your battery been dead or disconnected recently? If so, the usual process is to make sure you do 20 mins of city driving, 20 mins highway driving, do some cold start ups, warm start ups, and let it idle for 10 mins (in no particular order).

Try that?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Deal with this every two years in Va.

It's the tune, you need to remove it and get enough drive cycle time on the computer. Some times it's different. The first time I tried to get it to pass with tune and same thing, not ready to be tested which resulted in a fail. Backed it out put stock tune back on and started and stopped it a few times and it passed.

Next time, forgot to take it off and it failed tried to do the same but it failed again. Had to drive roughly 50 miles before it would pass.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw
Man that sucks, so glad I don't have to deal with this crap! If there was an emission issue, the truck should trigger a CEL. Are you under warranty? If so, take it to a dealer and hope they can figure it out.
Well here's the thing the dealer is saying it might not be under warranty if my programmer messed it up which I don't see how that's possible. And I can get it to pass inspection in a non emission county but i feel like it shouldn't be a issue passing in one that is and should pass.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ExpresswayFord
It's not actually "failing". It just doesn't have enough history in the computers to give an accurate reading. We find that being a common problem in extreme cold, after the battery has died or been disconnected.

Has your battery been dead or disconnected recently? If so, the usual process is to make sure you do 20 mins of city driving, 20 mins highway driving, do some cold start ups, warm start ups, and let it idle for 10 mins (in no particular order).

Try that?
Battery hasn't been disconnected in atleast two months and keep it on a maintainer now. Drove it at least two hundred miles and have done everything you listed but still says readiness test not complete. It does sit a lot that's why I keep a maintainer on it.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:52 PM

Are you using sct, I never had this issue with super chips on previous vehicles. Now I have only been about 40 miles with it stock, maybe that's not enough? Thanks for all the help so far guys. What your saying does make me feel better though.

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Deal with this every two years in Va.

It's the tune, you need to remove it and get enough drive cycle time on the computer. Some times it's different. The first time I tried to get it to pass with tune and same thing, not ready to be tested which resulted in a fail. Backed it out put stock tune back on and started and stopped it a few times and it passed.

Next time, forgot to take it off and it failed tried to do the same but it failed again. Had to drive roughly 50 miles before it would pass.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzuki14258
Are you using sct, I never had this issue with super chips on previous vehicles. Now I have only been about 40 miles with it stock, maybe that's not enough? Thanks for all the help so far guys. What your saying does make me feel better though.
Yes, SCT with 5 star tunes.

Hopefully driving it around a bit more will help.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:19 PM

Well this makes me feel a bit better. I will try and drive it somewhere tomorrow and put some miles on it. Don't have many chances during the week, as I live out of my work truck. That way next time I take it in it will hopefully be ready. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with the truck

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford F-150 won't pass inspection