Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 f150 ecoboost manual mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Question 2013 f150 ecoboost manual mode?

Ok yesterday I popo my pants....
I was datalogging 3rd gear in manual mode checking for knock really... and I floored it locked in 3rd gear by the time I looked down with everything going on I was banking 6500rpm and by the time the foot let off the petal the motor let me know.... it sounded terrible. I really thought I done blown my engine. ..

so any long term or short term issues from this? I know its not good by any means but do yall think i hurt anything???

Thx ps im using livewire ts
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

You hit the rev-limiter. I have not done it on the F150 but have done it on prior vehicles. It's not a happy sound by any means. There should be no issues going forward.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

rev limiter wont hurt anything. They sound aweful but they serve there purpose. No big deal.

BTW i love manual mode with my eboost. Simpily lock it in 6th gear and set the cruise while towing... Never have to worry about downshifting on hills. The truck just muscles its way to the top every time.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 AM

It might have been the rev limiter but it wasnt like the speed limiter were the motor gives and petal gives out iff and on keeping u in the safe zone.

Petal did give and motor loss power while making some ugly clinking clonking noises. ... but I let off and it went normal seems good. I hope so..
its the throttle body and motor stalling at that rpm that makes the ugly sounds I guess. .

im done with that manual button. I unfriend him. Lol

I was nervous because I know stock will hit a rev limiter for you but im not sure if its in a custom tune to do the same??? What yall think does sct program have a rev limiter in drive while in manual?
Thx
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I can't imagine that any tuner would be stupid enough to do away with the rev limiter....
The following users liked this post:
rdkev (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 AM

Oh yes there definitely is one in drive mode it set at 6 Grand. .. what I dont know is where is it set at in manual mode with a gear locked in. I read somewhere that the manual says it wont upshift for u...does this nean there isnt a rev limiter if so is there one on sct tunes? A good question for the tuner.i told him just didn't talk about limits. ..he fussed st me for a while. ... someone did tell me there is a limiter just getting second opinion.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Burns331
rev limiter wont hurt anything. They sound aweful but they serve there purpose. No big deal.

BTW i love manual mode with my eboost. Simpily lock it in 6th gear and set the cruise while towing... Never have to worry about downshifting on hills. The truck just muscles its way to the top every time.
?

That doesn't seem like a bad idea to you? It downshifts because it needs to. Not allowing the transmission to shift into a lower gear is a poor choice. It is bad for both the motor and transmission.

Another reason not to buy used.

Op, I have also heard you can over Rev in manual mode and that there is no limit. It basically says as much in the manual. Obviously I have not tried it!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Obviously it doesnt need to if it will maintain speed up the hill. Elmininating shifting reduces heat generated by the trans.

Its not going to let you do anything that it physically cant handle. Like i cant lock it into 6th gear and try to go 30 mph. It will automatically shift down or not let you shift up.

That is why ford has a manual mode. So that the drive can select/shift his desired gear/rpm range. For me not having the transmission shifting in and out of gear is less wear and tear on the clutch packs and the transmission fluid.

Ignorance is bliss i guess.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Burns331
Obviously it doesnt need to if it will maintain speed up the hill. Elmininating shifting reduces heat generated by the trans.

Its not going to let you do anything that it physically cant handle. Like i cant lock it into 6th gear and try to go 30 mph. It will automatically shift down or not let you shift up.

That is why ford has a manual mode. So that the drive can select/shift his desired gear/rpm range. For me not having the transmission shifting in and out of gear is less wear and tear on the clutch packs and the transmission fluid.

Ignorance is bliss i guess.
Shifting is only a bad thing if it is going in and out of gear too often. The occasional downshift to 5th hurts nothing and is better for the engine and transmission than keeping it at 6th under too much load. 6th is a very high overdrive and not great on power. You would be better served keeping it in auto and locking out 6th gear than manual in locked in 6th. If it wants to shift to sixth it is probably a good idea to let it. If the shifting is too often just prevent it from going into 6th to start with.

But it isn't my truck.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Im not to worried about it. I appreciate your concern. Im well aware of whats going on when my trans is shifting back and forth between 5/6. Im not your average user.

I dont lock 6th if im going up any kind of large hills. Only on the flat roads where it would bump 5th at the bottom and then shift back to 6th before you even crest the top. Its easier to leave it in 6th locked.

I wasnt trying to make it sound like im going to climb a mountain with it locked in 6th gear. Although it may have came across that way.

Quick Reply: 2013 f150 ecoboost manual mode?