Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Platinum Door/Window Rattle *SOLVED!!*

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2012 Platinum Door/Window Rattle *SOLVED!!*

After 6 months of fighting a consistent rattle in both doors, I've finally solved the mystery. I'd had it in to the dealer twice and they'd greased and lubed everything. I'd stuffed foam inside the door panel. No luck. The rattle always came right back right away.

Tonight, on probably my 30th attempt to locate the rattle, I finally got pissed enough to take both door panels completely off and pull off the black insulation on the door panel. I then took the truck out on the highway and sure enough, even without the door panel attached the rattle started right back up. I had eliminated the door panel as the culprit. I then took my phone out and started the audio recorder, and started slowly moving my phone around the door recording the audio of the rattling. I pulled over and parked and played it back. The rattling got louder the closer my phone got to the front of the pickup. All along to my naked ear, it sounded like the rattle was coming from right next to me (the rear/lock area of the door panel). With this new knowledge in hand, I pulled back out onto the highway and started off again. As soon as the rattle started, I leaned up as far as I could and put my ear nearest the front of the door as I could reach while safely driving. Sure enough, it was coming from up that way. I felt around with my fingers and couldn't feel anything vibrating or loose. Then I noticed something I'd never thought of before. On the 3 bolts the connect the side mirrors to the door, there are metal bushings on the backside (inside the metal door frame) that might be doing it. I had my socket wrench in the seat next to me (I'd used it to take the door panel off 30 times, after all... it's like my sidekick these days). I grabbed the wrench and tried tightening the bolts. Damn, no luck. They were all very tight. I was bummed. Then it hit me, maybe they were TOO tight and causing the bushing on the backside to make contact with the door frame. I backed each bolt off about 3 turns and BOOM. The rattle stopped! I drove for a few minutes and the silence was amazing. Thinking it was too good to be true, and the rattle would be back to greet me when I got in my truck the next day, I tightened the bolts again. The rattle immediately started back up. I backed them off again, rattle stopped. After a lot of loud screams of victory as I drove back home, I got out and did the same procedure on my passenger side. Rattle stopped there too! Below is a video of the rattle I had, in case this helps anyone in the future...

Last edited by nickstl77; 05-22-2014 at 08:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by nickstl77:
Adobe2X (05-23-2014), eye.surgeon (05-23-2014), jmvdigital (05-23-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 231 Likes on 213 Posts

Sub'd
Old 05-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

congrats on solving that irritation. i know what a relief it is to spend weeks upon weeks trying to track down an annoying noise and finally get it!!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Xorak
congrats on solving that irritation. i know what a relief it is to spend weeks upon weeks trying to track down an annoying noise and finally get it!!
Thanks! It really is amazing how much stress it causes when you spend a lot of money on a truck and love it except for one little annoying thing that seems to plague you. Hopefully this thread helps someone else out there avoid the same thing.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I may have the same issue in my '13 FX4. Have you noticed it getting worse with the window down partially?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by F-16 Driver
I think I may have the same issue in my '13 FX4. Have you noticed it getting worse with the window down partially?
I could hear it about the same with the window cracked.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

I hate rattles. It's good to read a story about them that has a happy ending. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Also might check the rubber bushings by the door latch in the jam, my 2012 had bushings too small and the door would rattle/jar over bumps because they did not make contact with the A-pillar. Ordered up some new larger bushings from ford and killed my door rattle.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 251 Likes on 137 Posts

very helpful, thanks.I have a similar sounding rattle but more more intermittent, I have the standard power retract mirrors, I wonder if it could be the same issue as I notice you have the tow mirrors.

Quick Reply: 2012 Platinum Door/Window Rattle *SOLVED!!*