Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 fx4 ecoboost transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 fx4 ecoboost transmission problem

Hey guys,

New member here, I have been lurking for some time. I recently made the switch to ford after seeing the ecoboost in action. I do love my truck and it's capabilities smash all the competitors. However, I am having serious tranny issues. I have utilized the search button and I know I am not alone. I am creating this thread so it can be found by other people like me who use the Internet for research.
I had a short stint with a 2011 3.7L. Loved it!! I did have some abnormal behavior from the tranny. I ended up trading it in for a 2012 fx4 Eco w/ appearance package. At 2k I was on the highway, slowed down for traffic and then punched it causing a 6-3 shift... At that time I lose power to the wheels and the truck is shaking as if I was doing 100mph on an old dirt road. Let off the gas, pulled over and seen the check engine light blinking. Put it in N and revved engine, no abnormal sounds. Put in gear, check engine light turns off and I slowly get back up to 70mph and cruise home. On the last leg home in the city it keeps slipping out of second and third ( only when really getting on it).
Well 1 month later and 1500 miles I had a repeat of what happened initially with the exception that the check engine light is on and of course it is driving fine. Tommorow morning I am taking it in and I will keep everyone who may be interested updated

Last edited by Jaredface; 05-09-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that exact same thing happen to me the other day as well. I thought maybe it was water in the gas, truck was shuddering like an S.O.B. and check engine was flashing too.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by FXBOOST
I had that exact same thing happen to me the other day as well. I thought maybe it was water in the gas, truck was shuddering like an S.O.B. and check engine was flashing too.
It stops as soon as I let off the gas. What really bothers me is that these programs and the electrical system on these trucks are so advanced that a normal tech can not handle trouble shooting it.

Last edited by Jaredface; 05-09-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Well it's not a tranny problem, cylinder misfire... Dealer said he got it to do it and it does feel as if the tranny is faulty however the DTC reads cylinder misfire on 3,4,5,6. Apparently ford knows I'm not alone and it looks like there is a recall coming soon. The engineers said they would be in contact with me in 2-3 months.... Oh boy
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the intercooler condensation issue... Look for it in the Engine section.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Thank you for that, I talked to my mechanic about this and he is interested in this as well... I see allot of guys on here having problems with their dealership not giving a **** about customer service. Im impressed so far with the amount of interest these guys are taking in my truck..
Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 PM

i have the same truck and i just started feeling a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. otherwise its been fine. kinda concerned as im working out of town right now and using the truck as my daily driver.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM

There's a difference between a firm shift and a hot shift.... I'm okay with my truck shifting firm from time to time becaus it let's me know that it is trying to avoid a slipping situation....

Quick Reply: 2012 fx4 ecoboost transmission problem