Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 f150 front differential issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 f150 front differential issue

2012 f150 4x4 lariat with 5.0 engine. 3.73 gearing.

Having some front differential issues after a recent dealer service. During the service a TSB recall for the lead frame on the transmission was done as well as diagnosing a rear vibration at 20 and 56 mph. During testing of the rear end to isolate the vibration, they dropped the driveshaft and drove the truck 5-10 miles at highway speeds in 4x4 high using only the front differential. Without a resolution to the vibration a new appointment was scheduled for a week later. The next morning about 15 miles since dealer visit I'm going through a round-a-bout and sounds like the transfer case exploded, 4x4 not engaged at the time, not in auto either. Pull over, inspect see nothing, drives the same, shifts hard since transmission lead frame service, but was told that might happen. By the next morning and maybe 15 additional miles I feel a vibration under my feet and notice a low speed growl (under 20 mph equivalent to a dry bearing) independent from braking or load. Immediately thought brakes or IWE hanging up, neither of which were faulty, 4x4 engaging and disengaging as they should. Took truck back to dealer, sat for nearly 3 weeks at dealer before they could get to it. Get the call their working on it and vibration is fixed,(driveshaft out of spec) but noise is coming from front differential. Close by, so I stop in, see oil (approx 1.5 qts sucked out, color is good) and it does have the slightest silver tint, but no contamination. Have a chat with the tech, he says they drove it for awhile to find the vibration with and without the driveshaft on the truck(60+mph). Rear diff was open when I was there, looked fine, getting conflicting stories from service manager saying the 4x4 was never working and never drove it without the driveshaft. 4x4 was working when I dropped it off, asked to verify while it was on the lift, refused as driveshaft was not on truck, saying it would damage drivetrain.

So this has me wondering if something might have happened to the front differential while dealer was doing their tests or from the transmission lead frame repair, or both.

I don't want to make any implications, but from experience would appreciate some opinions and go from there.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:12 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow, there are many aspects to the dealer story that don't make sense to me. First of all, if you pull the driveshaft and drive the vehicle, wouldn't all the ATF run out of the end of the transfer box or transmission (not sure how they are separated fluid wise)? I would dare guess they've screwed something up (likely the transfer case) but I doubt it is either differential.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssls6
Wow, there are many aspects to the dealer story that don't make sense to me. First of all, if you pull the driveshaft and drive the vehicle, wouldn't all the ATF run out of the end of the transfer box or transmission (not sure how they are separated fluid wise)? I would dare guess they've screwed something up (likely the transfer case) but I doubt it is either differential.
if you take the driveshaft out it should not lose any fluid. the front driveshafts on these trucks use a bolt on flange rather than a slip in style
Old 12-14-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
if you take the driveshaft out it should not lose any fluid. the front driveshafts on these trucks use a bolt on flange rather than a slip in style

He said they pulled the rear
Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssls6

He said they pulled the rear
whoops, misread it
Old 12-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N/A

Last edited by roadrunner2176; 02-05-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: N/A

Quick Reply: 2012 f150 front differential issue