Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 5.4L 3V Major Misfiring & Timing Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 5.4L 3V Major Misfiring & Timing Codes

Tl;Dr: How do I tell whether I can get away with a new phaser or if I need to do the whole timing job?

2012 Expedition EL 5.4L 3V, just over 160k. Bought used at around 90k. For a long time there was a rattling noise at cold start that went away after a few seconds, but over time there has been a growing problem with engine noise, rattling, misfiring, loss of power, stalling. Codes all point to Bank 2 circuit faults when they're not also full of misfires.

I've replaced plugs, coils, cam sensors, changed over to 5w-30, all the cheap fixes I could think of, all helped for a little while. At this point I've learned enough here to think I'm looking at either a new phaser or a full timing job. I'm about to pull the valve cover to see what I can see. I've watched the video series, I have access to a shop and all the tools I'd ever need. I'll DIY whatever needs to be done.

​​​​​​My question is, what should I look for and/or consider when deciding whether to drop $250 on a new phaser vs. at least $1200 on a full timing job? Money is very tight and I need to get this thing back on the road ASAP for my wife and kids.

TIA.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:58 PM
Big truck Driver

Received 212 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverZero
Tl;Dr: How do I tell whether I can get away with a new phaser or if I need to do the whole timing job?

2012 Expedition EL 5.4L 3V, just over 160k. Bought used at around 90k. For a long time there was a rattling noise at cold start that went away after a few seconds, but over time there has been a growing problem with engine noise, rattling, misfiring, loss of power, stalling. Codes all point to Bank 2 circuit faults when they're not also full of misfires.

I've replaced plugs, coils, cam sensors, changed over to 5w-30, all the cheap fixes I could think of, all helped for a little while. At this point I've learned enough here to think I'm looking at either a new phaser or a full timing job. I'm about to pull the valve cover to see what I can see. I've watched the video series, I have access to a shop and all the tools I'd ever need. I'll DIY whatever needs to be done.

​​​​​​My question is, what should I look for and/or consider when deciding whether to drop $250 on a new phaser vs. at least $1200 on a full timing job? Money is very tight and I need to get this thing back on the road ASAP for my wife and kids.

TIA.
Do the full timing and you'll be set for another 10 years or so..

No point in doing the cam phasers and not the rest.. Not at this point.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

At this point the timing job might not be optional, it's possible that the rattling sound was due to a loose timing chain hitting the front cover, meaning that the chain guide is destroyed inside the engine.
Flush the oil and look for foreign pieces, if you find anything then you already know what happened, if you don't find anything maybe you are still on time to prevent further damage before it happens. Either way you are due for a timing chain job. Don't forget to drop the oil pan and clean the oil strainer.
If you feel confident enough to do it, then go ahead and check the best guide to do this repair and some others. I don't even have a 5.4 engine and i watched the whole series.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Paycheck (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 06:16 AM

Received 444 Likes on 385 Posts

70K+ miles of driving likely with an oil pump pickup clogged full of guide plastic…you better have someone take a good look over the engine. I doubt you’ll skate by with a timing job only and not regret it.
The following users liked this post:
99F150V6 (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: 2012 5.4L 3V Major Misfiring & Timing Codes