Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Sync Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2011 Sync Question

Okay, so here's the deal. I have the USB2 mod, but I really don't think that has anything to do with this. I have my iPod Nano connected full-time in the glove box, and it works great, but if I'm driving, and listening to my ipod, and then hit the voice button to make a call, it just says, "USB2" and then if I say "Call John Doe", it doesn't work. I basically have to hit the phone button first, and then the voice button to voice dial a call if I'm listening to the ipod. This is not the case if I'm listening to radio or satellite. Any ideas? It's quite annoying. Also, once I'm done with the voice call it's still in phone mode, and I have to hit the media button to go back, but it doesn't take me straight back to the ipod, instead it takes me to Sat1 I think or maybe AM, and I have to scroll through them with media until I get back to USB 2. I'm sure I could hit voice and say usb 2 to get back, but I'd prefer it to automatically go back to USB after I'm done with my call.

As a total aside, I had a problem after the dealer installed my integrated trailer brake controller with sync not automatically finding my phone. I would get in, and have to hit the phone button every single time for it to find my phone (which wasn't the case pre-brake controller). After that it would work fine. I did a master reset and now it finds my phone automatically like it used to, but the master reset did not seem to change the functionality of the USB device mentioned above. TIA!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the problem you've had with the phone and USB2, but with me, USB2 has not been working without problems on a regular basis, ie, the heat threads.

I've stopped trying to use the USB2 as it just keeps locking up my SYNC... or something does. I'm getting now where I a growing tired of dealing with SYNC to play music from a USB.. it's a novel idea, but the interface issues have gotten frustrating enough that I find I'm just listening to the SAT more... I wish they'd fix it so SYNC was more robust and intuitive. Shout out to fellow Arlington resident!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yippie21
I've had the problem you've had with the phone and USB2, but with me, USB2 has not been working without problems on a regular basis, ie, the heat threads.

I've stopped trying to use the USB2 as it just keeps locking up my SYNC... or something does. I'm getting now where I a growing tired of dealing with SYNC to play music from a USB.. it's a novel idea, but the interface issues have gotten frustrating enough that I find I'm just listening to the SAT more... I wish they'd fix it so SYNC was more robust and intuitive. Shout out to fellow Arlington resident!
Cool to see another Arlington member! Sorry to hear about the heat issues, I haven't had that problem yet (knock on wood). As an aside, not meaning to hijack my own thread, are there get togethers or meetups here? I know with my Jeep there were tons of activities like that, and it's always cool to get together, drink a few beers, do some wrenching, etc.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Shouting back at ya. I foresee problems with the USB2 mod and why I've raised questions about it recently. People swear iPods and nanos aren't as sensitive to heat, which I highly doubt. But, if it works for them, more power to them.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM

From USB2 if you say phone when you hit the voice button it will switch to the phone and then ask you for another command... say Call Whomever... once the call ends it will then switch back to USB2 automatically... usually...

It's Microsoft... so it's a little temperamental at times.

I don't think it has anything to do with your trailer brake controller... it's coincidental. It more than likely has more to do with the heat.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM

I find using a thumb drive works best. I found a cheap 32GB and it works great... much better than my Zune (also Microsoft... grr)
Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dancin_Fool
From USB2 if you say phone when you hit the voice button it will switch to the phone and then ask you for another command... say Call Whomever... once the call ends it will then switch back to USB2 automatically... usually...

It's Microsoft... so it's a little temperamental at times.

I don't think it has anything to do with your trailer brake controller... it's coincidental. It more than likely has more to do with the heat.
I'll give that a try this afternoon on my way home from work! Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: 2011 Sync Question