Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 (and prior) 6.5 bed - shudder from stop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2011 (and prior) 6.5 bed - shudder from stop?

I haven't seen too many threads on this forum about the low speed shudder that is being discussed elsewhere. It's quite possible that I missed it here in my quick search, or it hasn't been discussed in a while. The problem seems to be more persistent with the SCREW 6.5ft bed vs the smaller bed. My Dad has an '09 F150 SCREW with the 6.5 bed, has the problem, and has been told by the dealer that "Ford is aware and is working on it".

Problem: from a dead stop, there is a very noticeable shudder/vibration in the drivetrain, which goes away quickly upon acceleration. It's definitely more noticeable under a load (i.e. towing)

Reference: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...-at-5-kph.html

Seems like there is still a potential problem with the '11s based off the thread above, which makes at least three model years with the same issue. I'm curious if this is a problem across most F150 SCREWs w/ a 6.5ft bed, or if there are plenty out there that don't have this probelm.

Not sure if this is part of the issue, but is there a reason that Ford goes with a split drive shaft on the longest F150 model (SCREW, 6.5 bed) but not on the Super Duty, which is the same length or longer in the SCREW config (regardless of short vs long bed)?

Last edited by jweidert; 05-31-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I noticed the shudder on mine this past weekend while towing my popup camper. I hadn't noticed it until towing.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

My shudder/rumble is still here. They recently changed the transmission valve body but it didn't help at all. It's absolutely getting worse.

I'll be taking it back to give 'em another try.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My 08 SD 172 inch WB has a two piece drive shaft. Greased the slip joint with good CV joint grease and that took care of the problem. Was binding up when starting from a stop.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Trailblazing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know mines a 2010 but, i had the same issues with the tranny, shudders at low speed from a take off, etc, had the valve body replaced, was a little better for a little while, then ford had to finally put a whole new 6R80 6speed electronic trans in my 2010 f150 with only 19000
Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM

Sounds like the problem is still there, which is disappointing. Since there is no permanent fix for the problem yet, makes you wonder why Ford has not addressed the problem, unless from their perspective, enough people haven't raised the issue or complained. I know the SCREWs w/ 6.5ft beds aren't as popular as the 5.5ft beds, so maybe that's why the problem isn't more public...not enough people complaining, and those who are represent a small portion of the total population.

Either way, for the price people are paying for these trucks, this should not be an acceptable condition. If the split drive shaft is part of the problem as some people suspect, not sure why that design is still in use.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Trailblazing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justjimmy
My shudder/rumble is still here. They recently changed the transmission valve body but it didn't help at all. It's absolutely getting worse.

I'll be taking it back to give 'em another try.
just curious,how many times do you plan on letting them try and fix it, it took me 7 times at the dealer before it was acceptable to me, multiple reflashes, slip yoke replacement, valve body replacement , and finally a new trans, i should of lemoned it but gave ford the benifit of the doubt

Last edited by Mikerjr; 05-31-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Better OUT then IN

Originally Posted by Mikerjr
just curious,how many times do you plan on letting them try and fix it, it took me 7 times at the dealer before it was acceptable to me, multiple reflashes, slip yoke replacement, valve body replacement , and finally a new trans, i should of lemoned it but gave ford the benifit of the doubt
Probably a poor choice of words on my part.

Did the New Tranny fix it?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Better OUT then IN

Probably a poor choice of words on my part "try".

Did the New Tranny fix it?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 PM

Mike, I'm going to state the obvious, but looking to confirm that all of this work was performed on the 2011 that's in your signature, correct? Also, with all the work you went through, is it 100% solved, or is there still a hint of the problem? Since you went in 7 times, which was the fix that seemed to do the trick?

Thank you! BTW, none of this is building my confidence that I should go out and buy a SCREW with the 6.5ft bed, and the 5.5 bed is simply too small for what I'm after. Not sure why Ford can't get this right after several years of the problem....

Quick Reply: 2011 (and prior) 6.5 bed - shudder from stop?