Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Lariat limited, grill chipping, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2011 Lariat limited, grill chipping, anyone else?

Just like the title states, my grill is chipping. Not the platinum white bars, but the black plastic. Or so what I thought was black plastic. It is actually white and coated black. WTF! Why did Ford do that?

Anyway the truck had 700 miles when I noticed it. No other chipping anywhere on the front of the truck. Ford first said it is from normal wear and denied the claim. Then the grill manufac wanted it for, "undisclosed reasons". You think they know their is a problem Then all of a sudden Ford said I'm getting a new grill. HMMMMM

Anyway, to those of you with a new Lariat Limited, keep an eye out for your grill chipping!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing happened to my platinum with 6,000 on it. First they declined warranty, then after I called ford customer service around 7 times they finally changed their mind and fixed it. It's totally bs that this even a problem. I still have the district reps number if you are in the kc area
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I hate to hear your new grill is damaged but it's plastic. How can you tell if it was hit with something? If a rock hits it hard enough, something is going to break or chip in this case.

I had to replace a windshield with less than 200 miles on my new truck. If the rock that hit my windshield had hit my plastic grill, I would have been replacing it.

Last edited by shortride; 01-13-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Sampeckinpah reported this with his limited. But this is the first I've heard of it on the Platinum. What part of the Platinum grill chipped? I've got one on order...
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A rock hit my platinum grill and the grill "trim" got water underneath it and bubbled up. It's sad this happens but I guess you can't really do much about it. I made such a big deal out of the whole situation that ford finally just replaced it. I think they mite want to rethink what material they use on the grill of an f150
Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 PM

i just can't believe the plastic is chipping. why isn't it black plastic to begin with. whos bright idea was you cast it in white and coat it in black? just ridiculous if you ask me
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Galoot
i just can't believe the plastic is chipping. why isn't it black plastic to begin with. whos bright idea was you cast it in white and coat it in black? just ridiculous if you ask me
If our roads didn't get covered in gravel every time there is a chance of a bit of ice we wouldn't even be talking about this issue. truth is it doesn't matter what color the bace plastic is, people will still come up with a problem which in this case has to have been caused by debris. there has to be a better way to treat ice because the gravel crap just causes problems everywhere.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Ill take the district reps number in the KC area? Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Well got the replacement grill put on. We'll see how long this one lasts before chipping. Poor design in my opinion. This one isn't finished as well as the first. More black overspray onto the white bars.sloppy work! Oh well, what do you expect for 50g's!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 AM

I have the Harley Davidson and I beleive it is the same grill as the limited. I noticed my grill was chipped around the Ford emblem. The service writer told me that Ford had him deal directly with the manufacturer of the grill. They of course, wanted the grill back. Second grill came with so much black overspray on it that I refused it. The manufacturer then sent another one. They told the service writer that they went through 20 grills and picked the best one...OOOPS! I went to the dealer yesterday to give my approval and the whole top of the black part of the grill is bubbling. There is defeintly a design flaw. The service writer and myself walked the lot and noticed that every F150 grill has black overspray all over them. If you ask me for the price of these trucks the quality of the grill is unexceptable.

Quick Reply: 2011 Lariat limited, grill chipping, anyone else?