Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F150 Rearended

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 2011 F150 Rearended

So my 4 month old just got the rear end smashed in by a Ford Edge. The first scratch on my 2011 XLT, Scab, Eco, 4x4 turned out to be a big one!!!!

I was on a 4 lane (2 lanes each direction). Two cars up from me stops to make a left turn. The car in front of me stops, I stop, the Edge behind me was playing the skin flute or something cause he barrels right into the back of me. I estimate he was going at least 45 because the speed limit on the road is 55.

The witness behind the person who rear ended me (who also stopped without hitting anyone) said he never saw brake lights on the guy who hit me.

I'm at work now, but will post up pictures later tonight. Basically, the damage is a mangled receiver hitch, bumper and driver side rear quarter panel is scrached/dented from the bumper. Also, the wiring harness is now dangling.

The truck seems to drive fine and my rear sonar (beep beep beep) seems to be working fine as well.

A few questions from guys who have gone through this or are in the know.

• Should I be worried about the frame being bent from a rearend collision at that speed?
  • Can I expect the body shop to replace my full hitch receiver. I do not want them to try to bend it back into the correct position. I haul some heavy sh*t (mostly a 10,000 lb bobcat & a 9,000 lb compact tractor with attachments) every few months and don't want some rebent hitch carrying the weight.
  • Will the shop replace my bumper with Ford OEM parts or will I have to fight for this.
  • If they do need to replace my rear quarter panel they will have to respray my bedliner with Line-X. How much of a fight will this be to have the entire bed redone. Is it possible to only re-spray one half and not the whole bed.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions for all of you, but for now that is what's on my mind. . . .

I'M SO PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jjm1024; 01-04-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Dont know where you live. Back in 2003, while living in San Diego, I had my new F250 stolen. After recovery, I took it to a Ford Dealer who also had a body shop, so that all parts would be replaced with factory parts. But the body shop is only going to fix what they get paid to fix, so hopefully you have good insurance.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by jjm1024
So my 4 month old just got the rear end smashed in by a Ford Edge. The first scratch on my 2011 XLT, Scab, Eco, 4x4 turned out to be a big one!!!!

I was on a 4 lane (2 lanes each direction). Two cars up from me stops to make a left turn. The car in front of me stops, I stop, the Edge behind me was playing the skin flute or something cause he barrels right into the back of me. I estimate he was going at least 45 because the speed limit on the road is 55.

The witness behind the person who rear ended me (who also stopped without hitting anyone) said he never saw brake lights on the guy who hit me.

I'm at work now, but will post up pictures later tonight. Basically, the damage is a mangled receiver hitch, bumper and driver side rear quarter panel is scrached/dented from the bumper. Also, the wiring harness is now dangling.

The truck seems to drive fine and my rear sonar (beep beep beep) seems to be working fine as well.

Should I be worried about the frame being bent from a rearend collision at that speed?

[*]Can I expect the body shop to replace my full hitch receiver. I do not want them to try to bend it back into the correct position. I haul some heavy sh*t (mostly a 10,000 lb bobcat & a 9,000 lb compact tractor with attachments) every few months and don't want some rebent hitch carrying the weight.[*]Will the shop replace my bumper with Ford OEM parts or will I have to fight for this.[*]If they do need to replace my rear quarter panel they will have to respray my bedliner with Line-X. How much of a fight will this be to have the entire bed redone. Is it possible to only re-spray one half and not the whole bed.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions for all of you, but for now that is what's on my mind. . . .

I don't know where you live(I live in mass.)and I am a painter at a ford dealer bodyshop. But at 45? Your frame is prob damaged. Especially if the hitch is bent.(that prob bent the frame)

Trust me when I say your body shop will WANT to replace everything brand new OEM. Such as your trailer hitch and bedside(if they have to) especially if its a 2011!!! We(at body shops) hate used/aftermarket parts!!! Its your(or more likely the person who hit you) insurance company that will not pay for certain things. Or make the shop "fix" them, insteadof replacing them. The linex I'm not too sure of. But, we at body shops are supposed to return your vehicle to "pre-accident" condition. If you had a linex pre accident? That qualifies!! So they should get it re done if need be.

Hope I helped
Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Ford Truck Man!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pending on there insurance company they will prolly cut you a check to have the line x redone once it's out of the body shop. Body shops don't like replace after market parts. Well atleast at Toyota where I work they don't.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

I say be prepared to lawyer up if the other guys insurance company tries to cheat you on repairs.

If its a bent frame then get the whole back frame section replaced.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget there is diminished value when selling it, so make sure you are compensated for that.

Also, if the frame is bent and you are towing, you might be better off either having the truck totalled or taking the compensation and trading that in for a new one, so you have a mechanically and structurally sound truck. 10,000 pounds is a lot of weight, especially for a half ton pickup, so make sure you end up with a rig that can safely tow your stuff.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mlts22
Don't forget there is diminished value when selling it, so make sure you are compensated for that.

Also, if the frame is bent and you are towing, you might be better off either having the truck totalled or taking the compensation and trading that in for a new one, so you have a mechanically and structurally sound truck. 10,000 pounds is a lot of weight, especially for a half ton pickup, so make sure you end up with a rig that can safely tow your stuff.

The diminished value thing is only in some states, but make sure you check and find out. Here in GA, it's a law. Also, the type of repairs made will depend on both insurance companies. Seems stupid, but true. I had a 2003 Chevy that got T-boned. The drunk idiot that hit it (it was parked at the time) had some crappy insurance, but because I have State Farm (they don't allow aftermarket parts) the other insurance company had to meet my insurance company's guidance. Besides taking good care of me for the last 22 years, this is one reason I'll never have anyone but State Farm (check your company, there are 3 that do this, but I'm not sure which the others are. Maybe Farmers and ???).
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car in front of me stops, I stop, the Edge behind me barrels right into the back of me. I estimate he was going at least 45 because the speed limit on the road is 55.

Should I be worried about the frame being bent from a rearend collision at that speed?
Yes, have it checked. It happened to my wife a few years back while she was stopped at a red light. it wasn't an Edge that hit her but a Dodge Ram and it definitely bent our frame.

Can I expect the body shop to replace my full hitch receiver. I do not want them to try to bend it back into the correct position. I haul some heavy sh*t (mostly a 10,000 lb bobcat & a 9,000 lb compact tractor with attachments) every few months and don't want some rebent hitch carrying the weight.
They replaced ours.

Will the shop replace my bumper with Ford OEM parts or will I have to fight for this.
They bent back ours and had it re-chromed. Since your truck is new, you have a good basis to ask for a new OEM bumper.

If they do need to replace my rear quarter panel they will have to respray my bedliner with Line-X. How much of a fight will this be to have the entire bed redone. Is it possible to only re-spray one half and not the whole bed.
They won't respray areas that are not affected, you'll have to fight that one.

Glad you're ok, your truck can be repaired. The bottom line is that you have to have the other driver's insurance fork over and put your truck back in "new" condition. Given that your truck is only a few months old, they should only use OEM parts. They usually use aftermarket/cheaper parts when your vehicle is older.

This will be a fight most likely if the other driver is not honest with his company, but whatever you do, try not to have your insurance pay for it. When my wife was rear ended, the driver lied to the cops and made a huge mess out of things. Our insurance covered our damages and then went after the other driver, but the accident ended up showing on our record.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

First, thanks everyone for the all the help! I'm very distraught about this. . . As I'm sure is the case with many of you, my truck is my baby! I wash the hell out of it and keep it meticulous, doing everything I can to keep it in top mechanical & physical shape. Just ask my wife, she thinks I'm insane with my truck. That makes this hurt so much more! Couldn't have happened a few months ago to my Dakota that I didn't really care much about (had to buy outright and was in a tight bind, wasn't really what I was looking for). As opposed to my new truck which I researched to no end before making the purchase!

On a side note, I can't believe how well my vehicle took the hit. Too bad I had to find out.

So no pictures for you guys yet. . .It's too dark out right now to snap any. I'll get some tomorrow at the body shop where I'm getting the quote.

so hopefully you have good insurance.
I have Geico so we'll see I guess. I have had them for a while, but haven't had a claim yet so I'm not sure how this will go.
Trust me when I say your body shop will WANT to replace everything brand new OEM.
Glad to hear that most of the body shop guys around here don't think it will be much of a problem to get new OEM parts in the repairs. I'm going tomorrow to get a quote, so I'll make it abundantly clear that I will only accept OEM parts & full replacement of anything damaged due to the age of the truck, including the receiver hitch, bumper, etc.
The diminished value thing is only in some states, but make sure you check and find out.
I've thought about this "diminished value" before, but didn't know of the term. I live in New York State. . . Not sure of how to check on this? Any suggestions?
They won't respray areas that are not affected, you'll have to fight that one.
It sounds like the Line-X is going to be the hardest battle. I don't see how they could only spray part of the bed when the whole point of a spray on liner is a continuous protective coating sprayed over all seems & gaps. On the flip side though, I'm not even crazy enough to try to get them to strip the existing Line-X & repray and/or replace the non-damaged body parts just to reapply the Line-X. This is going to take some discussions to get a acceptable solution I think.
. . . but whatever you do, try not to have your insurance pay for it. . . Our insurance covered our damages and then went after the other driver, but the accident ended up showing on our record.
Too late for that. I already submitted my claim through Gieco for them to pay (with me paying the deductible) because the driver who hit me had some tiny insurance company out of Ohio that I have never heard of. I did not feel comfortable relying on his company to make repairs to my vehicle to my standards without having to put up a huge fight. From what Gieco has told me, they will (although they cannot guarantee) recoup the repair costs from the other drivers insurance company. At which time, I will get my deductible refunded. This process usually takes about 6-12 months according to the agent. It sucks being out the $500 for that time, but I just felt more comfortable going this route.

Again, I really appreciate the help. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress and keep a close eye on this thread for any other advice.

Last edited by jjm1024; 01-04-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that most of the body shop guys around here don't think it will be much of a problem to get new OEM parts in the repairs. I'm going tomorrow to get a quote, so I'll make it abundantly clear that I will only accept OEM parts & full replacement of anything damaged due to the age of the truck, including the receiver hitch, bumper, etc.
Call friends, go to some high end dealers and find out which body shop is the best in town, regardless of brand affiliation. It's your truck and you can take it wherever you want, the insurance company cannot impose a shop on you.

Take it to the shop you feel will do the best job, tell them you want OEM parts, and let them look at it. You'll be surprised at what hidden damage they may find. Once they are done, their estimate will list everything and whether the part will be repaired or replaced, and if they'll use OEM or aftermarket. If you don't understand their estimate, ask them to go over it with you. If you're confident with their findings and trust their quality of work, have them proceed with the repairs and if they find more damage as they take your truck apart, they'll file a supplement with your insurance company.

It sounds like the Line-X is going to be the hardest battle. I don't see how they could only spray part of the bed when the whole point of a spray on liner is a continuous protective coating sprayed over all seems & gaps.
I am not sure on this, but doesn't Line X bond back to itself?

Too late for that. I already submitted my claim through Gieco for them to pay [...] From what Gieco has told me, they will (although they cannot guarantee) recoup the repair costs from the other drivers insurance company. At which time, I will get my deductible refunded. This process usually takes about 6-12 months according to the agent. It sucks being out the $500 for that time, but I just felt more comfortable going this route.
That's what happened to us, but we got our deductible back in much less time. Not sure about your case, but it showed up on our record for 6 years because our insurance got involved. I hate deadbeats!

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 Rearended