Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 f150 cold start issue (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 f150 cold start issue (maybe)

Just a little info leading up to the problem.

I came back from a 2 hour highway trip at about 5:30pm on Dec. 13th and parked the truck for the night. The temperature dropped to about -25 to -30 that night and are still that temperature today. I woke up Dec. 14th and at about 9:00am tried to start the truck with the electric start on my keys, but when I started it the truck only stayed running for about 5 mins. and when I tried to start it again just thinking it was just very cold (because it was) it fired for a split second and then nothing. So then I plugged the engine block in till about 2:00pm Dec. 14th and tried again to start it with the same result, tried to fire for a quick second and then just keeps cranking. Now Dec. 15th and it just keeps turning over with nothing at all.

Also I did take it to the ford dealer ship for the same problem last year around the same time and the mechanic told me that my throttle body needed to be replaced for about $700 but when I said that was crazy and we couldn't afford it so I wanted to take it to my mechanic the dealership all of a sudden said that the throttle body was just stuck so they cleaned it and it was ok. So now I don't want to assume its the throttle body because those guys at the dealer ship could have just told me that and then warmed up the truck in their garage and then it started. So now I just don't trust what they told me. I don't mind taking off the throttle body and the IAC and cleaning it as long as I'm for sure that's the problem, which I do think it might be along with maybe the fuel pump or something related. (And I don't have a mechanic, I just said the to the dealership because I couldn't afford that kind of money at the time and they also seemed very shaddy...lol)

I'm just wondering if there might be some other simple/cheap fixes to this problem that wouldn't require me to take it to a mechanic or take anything apart because its cold, I don't have a garage and I'm just a broke bum in the winter. Any help or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time....

Last edited by Jinxed82; 12-15-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

Check fuse 27 for the fuel pump. TSB 15-0137. If it looks burnt, you need to do the fuse relocation kit. Part # EL3Z-14293-A.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris's FX4
Check fuse 27 for the fuel pump. TSB 15-0137. If it looks burnt, you need to do the fuse relocation kit. Part # EL3Z-14293-A.
I just check it two minutes ago and it looks fine.

Do you know what the best way is to check if the fuel pump is working, is it to try and listen for it to prime or is there a better way. And if that's the easiest way to check, where is the best place to try and listen for it?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like we're having similar issues, although mine is a 2010. I purchased a cheap fuel pressure gauge on Amazon to check to see if my fuel pump was priming and maintaining the proper fuel pressure.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Water in fuel, froze up?
Old 12-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

If my truck has less than a 1/4 tank of gas and is parked on an incline it will only run for a few minutes before it runs out of gas and stalls, after which it won't start again until I let it roll down the driveway onto flat ground and then it fires right up. If your fuel level is kinda low all the fuel might be sitting at one end of the tank and away from the fuel pump.

Just a thought.