Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F-150 Lariat Rear Defrost Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 F-150 Lariat Rear Defrost Problems

I have a 2011 Ford F-150 Lariat. I recently took it to the dealership because the rear widow/heated side mirror button did not turn on when pushed(it worked a week ago). The people at the dealership said that the mirrors heated up and it worked fine but after agruing with them as to why the button's light did not come on, they could not provide an answer. Its the only light on the console that will not turn on when their buttons are pushed.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

The defrost circuit will not activate, and the light will not light up, if the sliding rear window is open even the slightest bit...

Make sure the rear slider is closed completely, then try the button again.

I couldn't figure out why my rear defrost stopped working and I guess I had left the rear window just the smallest bit open. Not enough to leave a visible gap, but enough to not trip whatever sensor switch they have back there.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
The defrost circuit will not activate, and the light will not light up, if the sliding rear window is open even the slightest bit...

Make sure the rear slider is closed completely, then try the button again.

I couldn't figure out why my rear defrost stopped working and I guess I had left the rear window just the smallest bit open. Not enough to leave a visible gap, but enough to not trip whatever sensor switch they have back there.
I know this is an old thread, but the last 2 mornings, I've remote-started my 2011 Lariat, walked outside, and within a few minutes, realized I wanted the rear defrost on. I push the button, no light. Wait about 5 or so minutes, and it comes on. Same problem? The light flashed a little this morning before finally turning on - guess I'll have to make sure the back window is fully closed (even though it didn't leak with the rain/snow yesterday).

-John
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Moved to 09'-Present section.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 PM
love my ford

Default also have a rear defrost problem

well it seems this is a common problem with anyone that has the sliding rear window and defrost.
I also have it on my 2011 fx4...
I have recently gone to the dealer and they told me it was the actual modual or control... on the dash.. (three days after repair... same crap)
It is not the modual.. it is the rear window.. if it does not close properly it will not energize the circuit. after four times at the dealer.. and now them telling me warranty does not cover glass.. i told them this is not a glass problem.. it is a manufactoring problem.
Many people have reported there glass actually blowing up because the contact on the glass is carring about 40amps.... if that contact does not make properly ... Boom..... Ford needs to wake up and realize they have a problem here... In fact .. I have read that they are now making the glass at another plant.
I am fighting now to get this replaced because of this. Some dealers have replaced them under warranty All i want is the same.

If you have this problem please insist you get it repaired before your kids end up with glass in there face.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by kingjoca
well it seems this is a common problem with anyone that has the sliding rear window and defrost.
I also have it on my 2011 fx4...
I have recently gone to the dealer and they told me it was the actual modual or control... on the dash.. (three days after repair... same crap)
It is not the modual.. it is the rear window.. if it does not close properly it will not energize the circuit. after four times at the dealer.. and now them telling me warranty does not cover glass.. i told them this is not a glass problem.. it is a manufactoring problem.
Many people have reported there glass actually blowing up because the contact on the glass is carring about 40amps.... if that contact does not make properly ... Boom..... Ford needs to wake up and realize they have a problem here... In fact .. I have read that they are now making the glass at another plant.
I am fighting now to get this replaced because of this. Some dealers have replaced them under warranty All i want is the same.

If you have this problem please insist you get it repaired before your kids end up with glass in there face.
Yeah, I took my truck in last week, and was told that the LED in the HVAC command module had gone bad. The tech checked the fuses and power to the element, and said that everything was working, just the light wasn't showing up. I'll be taking it back in next week for the replacement module to be installed.

-John
Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I brought my truck in due to the same issue of the light not going on, the rear defrost not working and the heated mirrors not working. They replaced the entire rear window due to the contact issue with the sliding glass. I hope you got your issue worked out with your dealer.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Have the same problem and my appointment is next week to have the whole rear window replaced.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2011 Limited #2431
I brought my truck in due to the same issue of the light not going on, the rear defrost not working and the heated mirrors not working. They replaced the entire rear window due to the contact issue with the sliding glass. I hope you got your issue worked out with your dealer.
Yep - worked out just fine! They set me up in a rental car for a couple of days while the work was being done.

-John
Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 AM
love my ford

Ford would not replace mine under warranty. But I fought with them and they agreed to pay 75 percent of the cost. Still I would have to pay 275. That's a Lot for a problem that is in the design. I will wait to have mine done in the fall because if it fails again it is only a 60 day warranty after it is repaired. And in the winter is when I will need it most.
Good luck everyone. I know I fought with ford on this for three months. And when my truck first went in I was still well under the 60000km warranty period. And to boot. I had purchased forms extended premium warranty. And they told me glass is not covered. What a crock of sh-t. Good luck

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Lariat Rear Defrost Problems