Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F-150 Harley - Subtle Grinding Noise from Front End Drivers Side

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 F-150 Harley - Subtle Grinding Noise from Front End Drivers Side

I have a 2011 Harley Davidson F150 which has just ticked over to 36,000 Miles. I recently noticed a subtle grinding noise coming from the front drivers side wheel / axle region. The noise is most noticeable when the vehicle is cruising without acceleration below 20mph, making a turn and when it hits a bump in the road. On my last oil change at the Dealer I asked them to inspect the front end which they looked at the Brakes, bearings, Camber shims and also completed a front end alignment and said they couldn't find anything wrong. I thought that I must have just been imagining it, however 2 weeks later I'm noticing it again and it's louder, my girlfriend has even heard it. After reading up on the forums I'm suspecting the vacuums line might have an issue as it gets very noticeable when you shift to AWD and More-so 4WD-H. Does anyone have a suggestion about what to do about this or a similar experience???
Old 02-04-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What was the final issue

I have a 2011 Harley Davidson F150 too. Mine just started doing the same thing about a month ago. What did the issue end up being on your truck? Thanks in advance, Steve
The following users liked this post:
Andys2011Harley (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

If it was a vacuum line issue, the noise would go away when you shift out of 2WD. The front IWEs are disengaged for 2WD when vacuum is applied. Conversely, vacuum is released for 4WD. This is assuming that you don't have a plugged line that is leaving just enough vacuum to keep the IWE partially engaged. I suspect that since it isn't going away when you shift out of 2WD, that it is something else. Like the IWEs themselves.

It could also be the front diff as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue2016XL:
Andys2011Harley (02-05-2018), HarleeDavidson (02-04-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 PM

@HarleeDavidson Its never been fixed. I've taken it to 2 dealerships and 2 independent mechanics and all of them tell me there is nothing wrong. The steering wheel also wobbles at low speeds eg under 10mph. I have had the wheels balanced and also 2 front end alignments since to no avail. I have kinda given up on it but @blue2010xlt raises a good point regarding the IWE which is what I suspected originally. I will have to get them to look at that next time. The truck spends most her time in the city on short hauls so I've just let it be. @HarleeDavidson Please let me know if your mechanic finds the issue?
Old 02-05-2018, 01:30 PM

Without more detail on the wobble, it could be a bent rim, tie rods or anything related to steering and holding the wheel where it should be.

Here is a thread that will help you diagnose the IWE system. It will tell you all you want to know about it and then some.

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/

Also, keep in mind that it could be your front diff or maybe even the transfer case (TC). Although I’d suspect that you wouldn’t have any noise in the later two in 2WD unless you have an IWE sticking or the take off side of the TC that still turns even when in 2WD.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:12 PM

I think I have the same issue.
2012 Platinum

Slow idle speeds, sometimes turning and sometimes going straight. I hear a soft growl in the front end that comes and goes with no pattern to me turning the wheel or tapping on the gas. I can also slightly feel it in the steering wheel.
The best way I can describe it is, if you ever had an older car that was low on steering fluid, and that noise it made when you turn the wheel, sounds like that.

I took mine to the dealer a year ago, and they said that they couldn't duplicate it. So I took it to my tire guy and he heard it and checked everything, but couldn't figure it out.

*NOTE - Mine only happens in colder weather. The noise goes away in the summer.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyT.
I think I have the same issue.
2012 Platinum

Slow idle speeds, sometimes turning and sometimes going straight. I hear a soft growl in the front end that comes and goes with no pattern to me turning the wheel or tapping on the gas. I can also slightly feel it in the steering wheel.
The best way I can describe it is, if you ever had an older car that was low on steering fluid, and that noise it made when you turn the wheel, sounds like that.

I took mine to the dealer a year ago, and they said that they couldn't duplicate it. So I took it to my tire guy and he heard it and checked everything, but couldn't figure it out.

*NOTE - Mine only happens in colder weather. The noise goes away in the summer.
Does the noise go away when you switch to 4WD?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by blue2010xlt
Does the noise go away when you switch to 4WD?
I finally remembered to check this. YES, the noise did go away when I went to 4WD. Do you know what this means or what it is?
Thanks,
BT
Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyT.
I finally remembered to check this. YES, the noise did go away when I went to 4WD. Do you know what this means or what it is?
Thanks,
BT
That means one of these things. From easiest and cheapest to fix to more expensive order:

1. Check valve
2. Solenoid
3. Vacuum leak somewhere else or not producing enough vacuum
4. Front diff

Personally, I’d do the first 2. Not at the same time but you could. Check valve can be had around $10. Solenoid up to $45 depending on where you get it. Both take 30 seconds or less to replace and you can easily do it yourself

Last edited by Blue2016XL; 02-15-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue2010xlt
That means one of these things. From easiest and cheapest to fix to more expensive order:

1. Check valve
2. Solenoid
3. Vacuum leak somewhere else or not producing enough vacuum
4. Front diff

Personally, I’d do the first 2. Not at the same time but you could. Check valve can be had around $10. Solenoid up to $45 depending on where you get it. Both take 30 seconds or less to replace and you can easily do it yourself
I'd like to add wheel hub assembly or iwe. Change them both if the first 3 suggestions prove unsuccessful.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Harley - Subtle Grinding Noise from Front End Drivers Side