Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 remote start problem

Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2010 remote start problem

Hi everyone,

First off, I have searched the forum fairly thoroughly about this and I can not find it. If someone else knows a previous thread that addresses this specific problem please let me know.

I have a 2010 f150 scab stx. I bought it used 5 months ago (owners manual came up missing, so no help there. a new one is on the way) It came with the ford one button remote start fob. Up until a month ago remote start worked fine. Now it beeps once and I can hear the interior ding and the fuel pump cycle on but then it doesn't start and beeps three times. From what I have read, three beeps means open door. Is this correct? All doors and hood are closed. No door ajar sign comes up on dash and I can't even find a sensor under the hood ( another forum member said it was right next to the coolant reservoir but it is not there on mine.)

I found the programming/override button and think I understand how to use that but I don't think that will fix the problem. I used this thread but I don't seem to see the fix there. http://https://www.f150forum.com/f38...e-start-42988/. If I am totally overlooking something feel free to tell me.

Also not sure if this could have anything to do this but I did just install interior led lights and led bed lights along with license plate led light.

Thanks guys
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the dome light switched off? I thought the remote start on my previous 2010 tanked until I realized I had turned off the dome light.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Thanks Bimmer,

I went out and tried it with the dome light turned on, off and linked to door open. I even pulled the led replacement from the dome and put the old filament back in. No luck. I know it's stupid but its driving me nuts!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zjweigan
Hi everyone,

First off, I have searched the forum fairly thoroughly about this and I can not find it. If someone else knows a previous thread that addresses this specific problem please let me know.

I have a 2010 f150 scab stx. I bought it used 5 months ago (owners manual came up missing, so no help there. a new one is on the way) It came with the ford one button remote start fob. Up until a month ago remote start worked fine. Now it beeps once and I can hear the interior ding and the fuel pump cycle on but then it doesn't start and beeps three times. From what I have read, three beeps means open door. Is this correct? All doors and hood are closed. No door ajar sign comes up on dash and I can't even find a sensor under the hood ( another forum member said it was right next to the coolant reservoir but it is not there on mine.)

I found the programming/override button and think I understand how to use that but I don't think that will fix the problem. I used this thread but I don't seem to see the fix there. http://https://www.f150forum.com/f38...e-start-42988/. If I am totally overlooking something feel free to tell me.

Also not sure if this could have anything to do this but I did just install interior led lights and led bed lights along with license plate led light.

Thanks guys
So, the question is --- did your problem with the remote start show up around this time ??

From my understanding the 3 chirps indicates a *door open* condition and the the rms will not activate.

There should be a Green/Violet wire from the remote start module harness connected to the Gray/Violet dome light circuit wire.

The way this works --- if the rms module detects 12 volts on the Green/Violet - Grey/Violet connection it signals a *door open* condition.

Check to see if there is 12 volts at that connection with the doors closed and the dome light timed out --- there should be 0 volts.

Last edited by golfer; 04-08-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Golfer,

I am not sure if the remote start stopped working as a result of the LED's because I never really use it. That being said, RMS did work several months before I installed LEDs and didnt work after. I did pull the Led from the dome light with no change. I will switch the cargo lights/license plate lights back to the old bulbs to test it. I will also try your suggestion for finding the tie-in from the remote start to see if it is getting 12 volts. It might be hard to get door closed and get under dash but I will make it happen. I will let you guys know how it goes later tonight.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Start with changing the battery in the FOB. Yep, I didn't believe it either, but my '13 started acting up right after I brought it home. Service writer said try the other FOB, because the battery may be weak in the one I was using. Though it was a brush off, but tried the other FOB. It's started fine with no problems since.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Update:
So I tested for 12 volts at dome light and that was working properly so then i took out all the Led lights I added and unplugged the led bed lights and still no go. Then my dad stopped over to my house randomly, I told him what was going on and he wanted to watch me try it. Long story short, it was giving four beeps ( not three like I thought) and that meant I somehow changed bank 2 option 1 with regards to the tach setting. So I went in and changed it back and then RMS worked.

I think I had done like Bimmer had said and turned off the dome lights at some point. And that was when I counted the beeps, once I turned dome light back on I never counted the beeps again. I just heard it beeping, but was looking for the wrong problem. Turns out I'm an idiot.

While I was in the RMS programming mode, I changed it to allow me to open door and put key in ignition without shutting off. So I guess there was an upside to this whole thing. Thanks everyone for their help. It is greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 remote start problem