Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Plaitnum - HID and LED Problems ( BIGTIME )

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Default 2010 Platinum - HID and LED Problems ( BIGTIME )

We'll i just got HID headlight and fog lights done professionally. These are 35w with balasts. After a week driver side headlight would go out and then when i turned them off and then back on it would come on again. Got pulled over as it happened again. Brought it back and they replaced the unit and bulb. Three days later same thing happened to the driver side for light three times. Took it back and they replaced that one too. Now tonight the passenger side headlight for and the driver side fog went out. Now when i turn everything off and then back on everything works for a short time. Am I missing something? Every light has its own balast and it seems like theres an electrical problem. Anybody know what the problem is here? I also had problems with LED's in the map lights, I blew the switch three times and Ford replaced it and said don't put LED's in the truck otherwise they will not replace it again so i removed them completely. I still have them in the license plate and the back up light. Think the LED's are the reason. Please help, i cant modify any lighting what so ever!

Last edited by jmoore9; 02-21-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the shop install the relay kit along with everything, or are the ballasts plugged directly into the OEM harness? It can be identified as a wire connected to the battery, connected to a box, with wires going to the ballasts. Most HID manufacturers recommend using a relay harness so that the ballasts are powered off the battery, which is supposed to resolve the flickering issues. I don't have any issues with LEDs in my map or dome lights, so not sue if its related.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 PM

No relay is installed, they're all plugged in directly to the OEM wiring harnesses. You would think a reputable car audio company would figure that out. Same company told me they will not install LED's because they mess with the electrical system so I tried it and it didn't work out.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore9
No relay is installed, they're all plugged in directly to the OEM wiring harnesses. You would think a reputable car audio company would figure that out. Same company told me they will not install LED's because they mess with the electrical system so I tried it and it didn't work out.
Most likely need a relay harness ($15 bucks here)
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDE-Relay-Harness

I wouldn't go back to whoever 'professionally' installed it
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 AM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

x2 on needing the relay. Not sure what your problems with the LEDs is...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I would have gone with the relays to begin with. And after having the issues you have had, the shop should have rewired them instead of just throwing replacement ballasts and bulbs in there.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

yup, youre just missing a relay. ive got HID hi/low beams and fog lights with no flickering issues what so ever.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Thank you, they are going to install a relay on Saturday. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get rid of the HID headlights...

Unless of course you are retrofitting a Projector into your headlights...however seeing that you didn't install the HID kit yourself, which is plug and play, i doubt you are going to be installing the Projectors...

Good luck blinding oncoming traffic!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by eclark53520
Just get rid of the HID headlights...

Unless of course you are retrofitting a Projector into your headlights...however seeing that you didn't install the HID kit yourself, which is plug and play, i doubt you are going to be installing the Projectors...

Good luck blinding oncoming traffic!
I had them for three weeks and not one person has flashed me so I don't think its a problem. They turned them down to wear they only go as high as below the back window of the car in front of me. If I had kept them the same height they would blind everyone.

Quick Reply: 2010 Plaitnum - HID and LED Problems ( BIGTIME )