Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Harley F150 Locks up at 80mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Harley F150 Locks up at 80mph

I have a 2010 F150 Harley truck with 30k miles. Its my 5th F150. I'm driving from my house in miami today to Ft Pierce to get my son. I'm on 95 north in west palm and all of the sudden the truck jerks and downshifts art 80mph. I let my foot off gas and truck downshifts again locking brakes up. I think just the rear it hapend so fast. It threw me into shoulder next to Jersey barrier. I was able to gain control and truck stalled and coasted to stop. Roadside picked me up and its at Al Packer Ford in West Palm. Scared the ... out of me. Truck started right up after that and I scrolled through system and everything showed ok. Please help!! Anyone out there heard of this? First time on forum. Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you're okay. This thread may be completely unrelated but...
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/urgent...downshift+lock.
Keep us posted.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts

Bet that was a scary situation!

Was the truck driveable once you started it back up? Sounds like something may have grenaded itself in the transmission?

Hopefully you're back on the road soon!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks guys and Blu for that 29 page post. I imagine I would have thought Bamma was fabricating his situation as all the others in that post did, And I pray none of them ever experience what we did but I am here to tell you it's 150% true!!!! This truck locked up on me at 80 mph it did give me a notice,seconds before it downchifted and jerked me forward and I let off the gas and then Bam!! I have had my truck over a year now and have put 30K on it as it is my company car/truck that I travel the entire state of Florida. I love my truck and hope it will be repaired correctly under warranty and not give me the whole, " Well, we couldnt find anything wrong with it answer"
Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamiharleyguy
.... I let my foot off gas and truck downshifts again locking brakes up.
I'm concerned because I'm planning 3,000 mile round trip from Texas to New York and back over the Christmas holidays. I've got a 2010 F-150 Platinum with 15,000 miles on the odometer. I've done this trip twice before with no problems and no concerns, but with this post and the referenced Platinum post, I am concerned.

Things common to both posts are that they state that the brakes locked up. F-150's have ABS brakes and I have never heard of them locking up, other than for these two posts. Neither post had photos of the skid marks on the pavement from the locked up brakes. Neither post mentioned air bag deployment.

If there was evidence of skid marks, that could mean the vehicle was sliding sideways. Typically with a high center of gravity, a pickup truck will flip on its side if the vehicle starts to skid sideways at high speed. That might not leave much of a skid mark on the pavement. The tread pattern would be poorly defined in the skid marks if a sideways skid did occur. If the brakes locked up in the forward direction, the tread pattern would typically leave lines in the skid marks where the tire grooves are located. If there was significant skidding, the tires would be flat spotted from the rubber being scrubbed off the tread at the point of contact with the pavement.

I agree that the transmission shifting is out of our control. Whatever demons Ford has programmed into the shift control, we have to live with. I would have preferred a manual transmission, but I don't think that will ever happen on a Ford F-150, at least not from the factory. I have experienced "agressive" downshifting when going downhill while towing a trailer. Nothing as violent as described in this thread, and certainly no braking unless it was under my control with the brake pedal.

I'm concerned, but I'm not going to wait for Ford to issue a recall. I'll make my 3,000 mile road trip keeping in mind that like the Ninja warrior, the Ford automatic transmission can strike anywhere, anytime.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't understand why the brakes would lock up?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
The OP didn't term it correctly. The rear wheels locked, but it had nothing to do with the brakes.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Aparently neither does the OP.... hence the post.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

SO which is it, the brakes locked up, the downshifting caused the rear wheels to skid, or both?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 PM

I did not touch the brakes. The truck downshifted and the rear brakes locked up. There was about a 30 ft dual skid mark all the way on to the shoulder. PS: I'm just looking for an answer until I hear from the dealer. I know exactly what ABS id I have them on both my Harleys and my truck and my BMW 750. I know on my motorcycle when you apply the brakes hard they pulsate and are not intended to lock up and skid same with the trucks and cars with ABS.. ABS did not deploy here. I was at about 80mph and YES THEY LOCKED UP. No ploy, no free Publicity stunt, Im not looking for any freebees, I make over 750k per year and can 10 trucks if I so choose. I love my Harley truck, I just google searched my incident and it took me to this site where several people have had this happen to them. Why a couple of guys choose to make light or try to sound intelligent in their post is beyond me. BE concerned gentlemen and ladies this is a serious issue and had the roads been wet it could have been deadly. Thanks again for the intelligent posts and info so I can take to the dealer who has my truck tomorrow to hopefully fix the issue. Excuse me for not being forum savvy.

Quick Reply: 2010 Harley F150 Locks up at 80mph