Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009-Present F150 for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 2009-Present F150 for dummies

Since there seems to be a pile of hostility towards the new F150 owners and their questions, I thought I'd try and make it simple:

Will XXX/XX/RXX Tire fit? Not without a level.

Which level should I buy? It doesn't really matter, they are virtually all the same seeing as it is a spacer. My vote: The one on sale.

Do I need a lift? If you are asking this question the answer is always YES.

Should I buy an Ecoboost or 5.0? Neither, you should go back to man-school and learn to make a decision without the help of total strangers.

Should I buy this truck or that truck? Buy the one you want, not the one I wish I had.

Will this mod void my warranty? YES, but you know you are going to do it anyway and do your best to keep your wife from figuring it out. "Honey, the truck seems higher?" "Nah, you were wearing heels the last time we went out."

How do I get better MPG? Drive to Toyota Dealership, surrender Man-Card, leave in Prius.

What do you think of my stickers? Uhm, dude, there is a reason you truck didn't have SVT/Supercharged/Performance badges from the factory. Why? Well for starters it is a stock F150....

Can I do A, B, or C to my F150 that nobody has ever done before? Sure, but please post pictures afterwards so we can all be amazed, and/or laugh at your expense.

What CAI is the best? None of them. They do not increase your mileage, they do not increase your power without a tune. In fact, they may cause a lean condition that over time will damage your engine. They do however make your intake noticeably louder? Oh, and yes, it will could void your warranty but if you are reading this and actually paying attention, you should already know that by now.

Will nitrogen in my tires increase fuel economy? Yes, by exactly 0.000000137%. How do you ask? Well, by removing your hard earned dollars and putting them in the grinning nitrogen dealer's hand, you have reduced your wallet's weight and thus your total vehicle weight ever so slightly, requiring slightly less fuel per mile. Then again there is always that crappy free air at the Shell Station...

I added premium to my tank today, and got 20% better mileage! No you didn't. Your engine doesn't need premium nor does adding it do anything but cost you more money per gallon. Add a turbo, supercharger, or high compression heads, different story. But until you pony up the $6K+ it costs to do that, save your pennies and put in the cheap stuff (Yes, I know the Ecoboost is a turbo).

So did I miss anything?

Last edited by Westbayou; 06-28-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hahahaha will I save gas getting bigger tires but over inflating them? How high do I have to get before I can see panty shots
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm honestly surprised that not one of those is in any way oil related

How often should I change my oil, and what type of oil/filter should I use? As often as you please but alternatively you can follow the factory recommendations. as to quesiton 2; as long as its 5w-20 it should be fine though again; factory recommends synblend (which will work just fine) unless you have a preference for another formulation.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

What kind of oil should I use and when can I switch to full synthetic?

Answer............use 5-20 with the seal of approval that is marked in your OM (try reading it --- but then again, the forum might not have anything to ask about if we ALL did that!).

What kind of wax should I use?

Answer: The shiny kind?

Why does my 8 inch lift kit with 36 inch monster mudders get such poor MPG?

Answer: You must be driving in to a constant headwind, dude!

How much can I tow?

Answer: As much as you want............ask how much you can tow SAFELY!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to appoligize if anything I may have said would make any owner feel I have any hostillity towards them because they own a F150... Its stupid people I am against....
Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sterlingone

How much can I tow?

Answer: As much as you want............ask how much you can tow SAFELY!
Maybe you shouldn't tow if you're asking...! LoL

I love this tread!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Westbayou
Since there seems to be a pile of hostility towards the new F150 owners and their questions, I thought I'd try and make it simple:

Will XXX/XX/RXX Tire fit? Not without a level.

Which level should I buy? It doesn't really matter, they are virtually all the same seeing as it is a spacer. My vote: The one on sale.

Do I need a lift? If you are asking this question the answer is always YES.

Should I buy an Ecoboost or 5.0? Neither, you should go back to man-school and learn to make a decision without the help of total strangers.

Should I buy this truck or that truck? Buy the one you want, not the one I wish I had.

Will this mod void my warranty? YES, but you know you are going to do it anyway and do your best to keep your wife from figuring it out. "Honey, the truck seems higher?" "Nah, you were wearing heels the last time we went out."

How do I get better MPG? Drive to Toyota Dealership, surrender Man-Card, leave in Prius.

What do you think of my stickers? Uhm, dude, there is a reason you truck didn't have SVT/Supercharged/Performance badges from the factory. Why? Well for starters it is a stock F150....

Can I do A, B, or C to my F150 that nobody has ever done before? Sure, but please post pictures afterwards so we can all be amazed, and/or laugh at your expense.

So did I miss anything?

AWESOME
Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post pics of your xxxx colored truck. Please just walk around the dealer lot. The colors look better in person than they do in pictures taken with a cell phone.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great thread!!! I ESP like the "man card" comments!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome post!

Quick Reply: 2009-Present F150 for dummies