Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-piece Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-piece Driveshaft

If I drop the carrier bearing on my 2 piece drive shaft will that give me enough play to grease the slip yoke?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

On my 2011 I drilled and tapped a hole and installed a grease Zerk.
A couple pumps with grease gun about every other oil change problem solved. note drilled just ahead of the max. travel of the inner spline. Don't worry about balance most of the weight of the Zerk is off set by the metal removed by drill and any other weight difference is handled by the grease which acts as a liquid balance.
As for dropping the bearing it will no good to grease the outside you need to gt the grease inside on the spline.

Last edited by bubbabud; 06-09-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

To properly grease the slip yoke, you'd need to pull the shaft. Remove the U-bolts at the rear differential. Remove the rear most ring clamp on the accordion dust cover.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
A couple pumps with grease gun about every other oil change problem solved. note drilled just ahead of the max. travel of the inner spline. Don't worry about balance most of the weight of the Zerk is off set by the metal removed by drill and any other weight difference is handled by the grease which acts as a liquid balance.
As for dropping the bearing it will no good to grease the outside you need to gt the grease inside on the spline.
This^ best advice.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Did you use a drill press, or something other to drill the yoke?
Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clarify, if I drop the carrier bearing will I be able to remove the slip yoke to grease the inside of it? Interested in the zert idea...
Old 06-09-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by joedotmac
Did you use a drill press, or something other to drill the yoke?
Nope just a hand drill, put grease on the drill bit and thread tap to capture shavings, did not even remove drive shaft.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ecobeliever
To clarify, if I drop the carrier bearing will I be able to remove the slip yoke to grease the inside of it? Interested in the zert idea...
Highly unlikely you'll able separate the rear shaft to be able to grease the yoke by only dropping the carrier bearing.

Only way this might work is to have the vehicle on a lift. No even sure then if there's enough total angle possible by the U-joints to create enough distance for the shafts to separate. Moreover as you drop the carrier bearing the first foot to foot and a half, will align the shafts engaging the slip yoke further onto the splined shaft. Dropping the carrier bearing another foot and a half, will get you the same amount of engagement as you would have it was in the installed configuration. Your results may vary.