Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 Ecoboost battery terminal

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 14 Ecoboost battery terminal

I couldn't find a thread for this. I'm also not great at the google.

I've had my 14 ecoboost xlt for almost a year and I've noticed the battery terminals are disgusting. I cleaned them a few times, but after a few performance upgrades it got worse, quicker. I like maintaining my vehicles with an afternoon beer, but it's getting ridiculous.

today she had an issue turning over. Drove fine to lunch. Afterwards I needed a jump to start her and then went straight to replace the battery.

Is this due to the battery being old from the day I bought the truck, and the new battery will resolve this corrosion problem on the terminals? Any pro advice on preventative steps?

have I made an error in upgrading exhaust, intake, and tune without upgrading electrical components.

Thank you you in advance for the wisdom.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

My truck is still under warranty and I'm getting this battery replaced tomorrow morning.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Remove the battery and change it. Then have it load tested. See if it passes or fails.

While its out clean the terminals with some battery terminal cleaner. You shouldn't have to upgrade the electrical system unless you were running a lot of lights.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

If you EVER see any acid corrosion on a battery terminal, that's an indication that the post seal is leaking. One cause of this is some one who doesn't know how to tighten the terminal clamp properly. You know what I mean: if you tighten the terminal bolt and the battery post leans a little. At that point the seal is compromised.

But it sounds like it's time for a new battery (there's no way to repair the post seal).
Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to my 2012 SCrew Lariat Ecoboost within the first 1-2 years after I bought the truck brand new. Dealer said battery was bad (leaking acid) and installed a new one under warranty. The acid chewed up my positive side battery clamp really bad.