Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 100,000 mile question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The 100,000 mile question...

Hello all, My 2012 Supercrew f150 XTR 4x4 just hit 100,000 miles. My question is this... with all of the knowledge out there I was looking for answers on what you all would suggest for this truck? It's a daily driver, sees occasional logging roads, tows a horse trailer, and also a camper trailer. It has a leveling kit up front, air bags in the rear, Edge tuner and has recently had a complete new transmission and all of the cam phaser work done. I plan on keeping this truck for a few more years, runs and looks great. At this stage what are any recommendations... Coil Packs, Blow Off Valve, Catch Can, Catalytic Converters? Or anything else that may come to mind. Especially anything turbo related... I like doing my own work when possible, however this is my first turbo vehicle, and I know nothing about turbos in regards to maintenance and longevity of parts within the system. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

My 2013 5.0 is about to hit 100k on a similar driving schedule as you. If you are asking what to do best maintenance wise, I would make sure you have fresh fluids changed at regular intervals. I've replaced almost every fluid in mine to date (tranny, diff, brake, coolant, etc.). I believe proper maintenance is the key to a long lived vehicle. I usually use the "heavy duty" ford specs for my maintenance intervals. Even though I don't consider my use heavy duty, the frequent maintenance is way cheaper than buying a new truck. Mine has been paid off for months, and I don't plan on buying another truck for years... I don't put much trust in "lifetime" fluids, hence I drop my diff pan and replace with fresh fluid every 50k.

Is anything giving you problems? The things you listed aren't really PM work, so I wouldn't worry about changing cats, coil packs, BOVs, etc. until you have a problem (unless you are looking to upgrade). I am doing spark plugs at 100k. Since you have an ecoboost, you should probably be on a 30k-50k schedule already from what I've read. I would recommend a catch can. Stay away from additives and just stick with high quality fluids.

It all depends on your goals. Are you looking for power mods or do you want to just want to keep a near-stock truck as long as possible?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Just continue to follow the regular maintenance schedule. Other than that if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies... I do all of my own "easy" work - fluids, brakes, plugs etc... on a regular basis and my truck actually runs great. I am mostly wondering about possible upgrades, especially with the turbo stuff as I am totally new to turbos, how they really work, and what sort of maintenance and/or upgrades may be needed or reccomended, especially at 100,000 miles.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got the 2014 after 250k miles on my original owner 2000 F-150. Barely a single problem, besides maintenance. If I get any less than that on this truck, I’ll be disappointed.

Quick Reply: The 100,000 mile question...