Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 f150 fuel pump electrical issues- Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question '09 f150 fuel pump electrical issues- Help needed!

Howdy, I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but my 09 Lariat f150 has been having trouble starting up lately. A week or so ago it started where it would turn over when I tried to start it, but it would never fire up. When it did that I noticed the fuel pump relay was kind of hot so I took it out, let it sit for a little bit and then replaced it. After putting the fuel pump relay back in it fired up no problem 5-6 times, and then a couple days later it did it again and had the same fix.

4 or 5 days later I headed back to school from spring break and after unloading my truck I got back in to go to class and it did it again, this time the previous fix didn't work. Long story short I gave it a day or so and it fired up again and I immediately drove it to a shop. Told the shop what the problem was and they said it wouldn't be something stored in the engine computer and they would have to get it to act up again. Left the truck there and just took the bus to class, after a couple of days they finally got it to act up again but apparently "didn't have it hooked up to their monitor" (why the #@$@ would you not have it hooked up to begin with, but I digress...). So anyways the shop couldn't figure anything out and couldn't get it to reproduce the problem.

Picked up the truck Friday morning and headed back home to switch it out for one of our vehicles that does work while my dad takes it to get looked at. Being OCD like I am it was bugging me to not know what the problem was, and I really don't want to have to drive my grandpas Tacoma for a couple weeks. So by then my dad had got a replacement relay to use, and we went to put it in earlier today, and surprise, it doesn't fit. This bugged me even more so I dug through the manual some and reviewed the fuse box diagram and noticed a fuse labeled "fuel pump relay" (#27 on the diagram) and thought I might as well check it out. Went to pull the fuse out and it comes out in pieces, a large chunk of it came out and the plastic around the metal contact was burnt (see picture) and then we finally managed to get the other part out. We didn't have any mini fuses, but we have some 20Amp fuses that fit so we replaced it with one of those and it seems to work. After thinking about it for a minute I realized I could maybe reproduce the problem by taking the fuse out (to simulate a blown fuse) and sure enough after removing the fuse it had the exact same problem where it turned over but didn't fire up every time. So my question (considering Im not much of a mechanic haha) is, does that seem like it could be the cause of the problem? To me anyways I just kind of thought that a fuse worked or it didn't, not this thing where it has problems intermittently, but considering the somewhat odd way the fuse failed it definitely seems (to me anyway) that this could definitely be the cause of the problem, but if so it really seems like the mechanics after having the truck for 2 and a half days would have checked the fuse??!!!

Sorry about rambling on haha

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me!
DT
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by bob5600
Howdy, I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but my 09 Lariat f150 has been having trouble starting up lately. A week or so ago it started where it would turn over when I tried to start it, but it would never fire up. When it did that I noticed the fuel pump relay was kind of hot so I took it out, let it sit for a little bit and then replaced it. After putting the fuel pump relay back in it fired up no problem 5-6 times, and then a couple days later it did it again and had the same fix.

4 or 5 days later I headed back to school from spring break and after unloading my truck I got back in to go to class and it did it again, this time the previous fix didn't work. Long story short I gave it a day or so and it fired up again and I immediately drove it to a shop. Told the shop what the problem was and they said it wouldn't be something stored in the engine computer and they would have to get it to act up again. Left the truck there and just took the bus to class, after a couple of days they finally got it to act up again but apparently "didn't have it hooked up to their monitor" (why the #@$@ would you not have it hooked up to begin with, but I digress...). So anyways the shop couldn't figure anything out and couldn't get it to reproduce the problem.

Picked up the truck Friday morning and headed back home to switch it out for one of our vehicles that does work while my dad takes it to get looked at. Being OCD like I am it was bugging me to not know what the problem was, and I really don't want to have to drive my grandpas Tacoma for a couple weeks. So by then my dad had got a replacement relay to use, and we went to put it in earlier today, and surprise, it doesn't fit. This bugged me even more so I dug through the manual some and reviewed the fuse box diagram and noticed a fuse labeled "fuel pump relay" (#27 on the diagram) and thought I might as well check it out. Went to pull the fuse out and it comes out in pieces, a large chunk of it came out and the plastic around the metal contact was burnt (see picture) and then we finally managed to get the other part out. We didn't have any mini fuses, but we have some 20Amp fuses that fit so we replaced it with one of those and it seems to work. After thinking about it for a minute I realized I could maybe reproduce the problem by taking the fuse out (to simulate a blown fuse) and sure enough after removing the fuse it had the exact same problem where it turned over but didn't fire up every time. So my question (considering Im not much of a mechanic haha) is, does that seem like it could be the cause of the problem? To me anyways I just kind of thought that a fuse worked or it didn't, not this thing where it has problems intermittently, but considering the somewhat odd way the fuse failed it definitely seems (to me anyway) that this could definitely be the cause of the problem, but if so it really seems like the mechanics after having the truck for 2 and a half days would have checked the fuse??!!!

Sorry about rambling on haha

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me!
DT
Paragraphs would help ("haha").

You have a Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM). It's needs diagnosis and likely replacement.

MGD
Old 03-29-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 09 5.4 had the SAME EXACT problem. Mechanic didnt even check the fuses. I took it home and pulled the fuses myself to see one of the pump fuses melted pretty bad. Some days the fuse would complete the circuit and start the truck, some days it wouldnt start. Simple fix and havent had a problem in a year
Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by 09fx
My 09 5.4 had the SAME EXACT problem. Mechanic didnt even check the fuses. I took it home and pulled the fuses myself to see one of the pump fuses melted pretty bad. Some days the fuse would complete the circuit and start the truck, some days it wouldnt start. Simple fix and havent had a problem in a year

Something melted that fuse...
Old 03-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

^^ that would be my first concern!!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Had the exact same thing happen to mine. 2009 5.4 Happened from one day to the next. My fuse looked exactly the same. Called my friend who is a mechanic and asked him what he thought and he said he has seen a lot of F150 with the exact same problem but has no clue why this keeps happening.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Fuse melted

I have a 2010 Ford F150 Lariat V8 and I had the same problems where the truck did not fire so I unhooked the positive cable and then hook back up and most of the time it would then fire up. I thought it was in the computer which needed to be re-set. After a couple weeks passed the not firing continued. I was many States away and driving (heading) home when the truck would just die going 70 mph on the Interstate pulling a boat in traffic. Talk about a dangerous situation trying to get over in traffic with no power (steering,ect). Finally got it home and discovered that the fuel pump relay fuse was melted. The fuse box is mounted over the radiator which gets really hot and that is why its melting. Ford should recall these trucks and re-locate the fuse box. I contacted Ford and discovered their was no recall for this problem. This issue is a highly dangerous situation as I nearly was involved in a accident because of these melting fuses. My dealer charged me $400 to put in a by pass kit which in my opinion is a temporary quick fix to the problem. I would say that if a real fix is not done on these trucks that someone will be hurt or killed. This is BS. Everyone with this problem should make a complaint to Ford so they recall this issue.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Its not environmental temperature thats killing the fuse, its the fact that those little legs on a mini fuse can't carry the load, despite the blow rating being 20a. Those little minis shouldn't be used past 15 max, and 10 would be better. The bypass/jumper kit, assuming its properly installed, IS a permanent fix.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

There is a TSB and parts kit to replace that fuse. It's a common problem and not indicative of a fuel pump issue, just a factory fuse that was spec'd wrong. Replace the fuse and associated wiring and your problem will be fixed.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/15-0137.pdf
Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tcp2
There is a TSB and parts kit to replace that fuse. It's a common problem and not indicative of a fuel pump issue, just a factory fuse that was spec'd wrong. Replace the fuse and associated wiring and your problem will be fixed.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/15-0137.pdf

Just happened to me this morning. Replaced fuse#27 and it started.
I'll be keeping a few spares with me just in case. If it happens again, I'll get the kit.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: '09 f150 fuel pump electrical issues- Help needed!