Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Timbren and Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 09:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Timbren and Bilstein

I have a 2016 SCrew short bed with Bilstein 6112 up front and 5160 in the rear. I also have a 3" block in the rear and fronts are set at 2". I have about 1" of reverse rake in the rear do to my overlanding set-up. I recently got some Timbren SES bumpstops and the spacer kit to maybe help the butt sag. My question is how will the Timbrens effect the 5160's on the trail and under compression?
Old 05-04-2022, 11:36 AM

Received 1,091 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by emsmatt
I have a 2016 SCrew short bed with Bilstein 6112 up front and 5160 in the rear. I also have a 3" block in the rear and fronts are set at 2". I have about 1" of reverse rake in the rear do to my overlanding set-up. I recently got some Timbren SES bumpstops and the spacer kit to maybe help the butt sag. My question is how will the Timbrens effect the 5160's on the trail and under compression?
Haven't seen these bump stops, but riding on anything that is rubber will decrease ride, and limits suspension travel due to increased resistance.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:28 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

I have the Timbren SES bumpstops on my 2015 because I run 37" tires and I need to prevent the rear tires from jamming up into the wheel well when at full articulation. It works great for that.

When you're just driving around on flat ground, are the Timbrens making contact all the time? Like 100% of the time? Mine only touch when I "need" them too, but otherwise they play no role in the ride. The shocks do all the work.

The Timbren rubber seems super-firm. I think for driving on smooth pavement with a loaded bed or pulling a heavy trailer, they would generally work as intended to prevent sag. For overlanding or off-roading on uneven and bumpy terrain, I don't think I would want them to be making contact 100% of the time. I imagine that would affect the ride.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
I have the Timbren SES bumpstops on my 2015 because I run 37" tires and I need to prevent the rear tires from jamming up into the wheel well when at full articulation. It works great for that.

When you're just driving around on flat ground, are the Timbrens making contact all the time? Like 100% of the time? Mine only touch when I "need" them too, but otherwise they play no role in the ride. The shocks do all the work.

The Timbren rubber seems super-firm. I think for driving on smooth pavement with a loaded bed or pulling a heavy trailer, they would generally work as intended to prevent sag. For overlanding or off-roading on uneven and bumpy terrain, I don't think I would want them to be making contact 100% of the time. I imagine that would affect the ride.
I have not yet installed. Do you off-road your truck with them? Wondering how much it’ll effect my travel. I’ve got 35’s on my truck.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:12 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

I have not yet installed. Do you off-road your truck with them? Wondering how much it’ll effect my travel. I’ve got 35’s on my truck.
Yes, I off-road my truck a lot. That's why I needed the bump stops. When the rear axle is fully articulated in one direction, one of the rear tires would rub the wheel well, so I needed a way to limit compression of the shock to just short of when the tire would hit the wheel well.

The bump stops will basically completely eliminate travel once it makes contact. That's pretty much its purpose. It's so you don't over-compress the shock. It prevents the shock from compressing any further and getting damaged. In the case of the Timbrens, they designed them to allow heavy loads in the bed or heavy trailers to not over-compress the shocks and having you driving around with the shocks at full compression all the time (from the weight).

I'm not sure if that answers your question. In short, once the bump stop hits the axle, there's no more compression. So you'll be able to compress your shock for whatever distance there is between the bump stop and the part of the axle where it hits. Let me know if that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Timbren and Bilstein