Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Suggestions for traction control on dirt roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for traction control on dirt roads

Truck specs: 2020 F-150 4x2 supercrew with 2.7L V6 Ecoboost

Recently I was driving up a dirt road at about a 20 degree grade moving slowly and steadily in low gear because the road was quite rutted. There had been some rain earlier in the week and the soil was damp but well packed, not slick or muddy. At one point my rear wheels started spinning and then the rear end started sliding sideways slightly. I revved the engine and finally got enough traction to grab and recover. In hindsight I might not have done myself any favors by going so slow. But I wanted to get a better idea of how to use the traction options to avoid this. The stability/traction control system was on at the time. But I think that is meant primarily for other types of slick road conditions and is not capable of dealing well with this particular situation. The electronic locking differential was not on and that seems like it could have been of assistance. Given that I don’t have 4WD, utilizing my truck’s controls effectively off-road is important so I’m looking for comments on my assessments as well as suggestions for other things to try. I don't do serious off-roading and this is about as challenging as it gets. But I do volunteer work with my local open space district so am up in the mountains on various types of unpaved roads fairly regularly.

Thanks much for any input,
Jim

Last edited by Jan Piermi; 03-16-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:21 AM

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,218 Posts

I use a 2wd off road a bunch. The TC SC works quite well. I only switch on the EL when I know it will be needed, but I have some time spent playing in the junk so am possibly more experienced. Keeping some momentum but not overdoing it is key. KM
Old 03-16-2021, 10:29 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

If you have it, try Snow/Wet mode. No harm in turning on the ELD prior to going up a slimy wet slope.

Also, turn off bold on your posts.
The following users liked this post:
2017bluetruck (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:56 PM

Thanks. Seems like I'm on the right track and just need to experiment more.

Regards,
Jim
Old 03-16-2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
If you have it, try Snow/Wet mode. No harm in turning on the ELD prior to going up a slimy wet slope.

Also, turn off bold on your posts.
I overlooked the drive modes and was focusing on the dash controls. Thanks for that suggestion. Definitely seems like ELD is worth a go.

I don't see any bold text in my post. :-)

Quick Reply: Suggestions for traction control on dirt roads