Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Rear panel protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 84 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Rear panel protection

Anyone know of companies that make protection for the area between rear tire and bumper. I’m always worried about smooshing by rear sides coming off rocks. I’ve got sliders to protect the sides. Also trying to figure out my exhaust, it’s getting banged up too.
2016 XLT SCrew 5.5 bed
Old 08-19-2022, 03:13 PM

Received 1,091 Likes on 464 Posts

There has been nothing I have seen to the extent of protection. I have seen the bed sides be chopped for a better departure angle and exhaust dumped right after the axle or before. I am contemplating creating a bumper similar to the ones for the Tacomas, where they cut the bed flush on line with the bumper, and build coverage out to the bed sides. Like the picture below. I also plan to make a tire swing out carrier, as the 35"x11" spare I have sits pretty low. So little aftermarket coverage for F-150s nowadays.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:26 PM

Received 84 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah that's exactly my liking. Would love to chop that lower area off and have a slider style something there instead. I have a Wilco tire swing for my 35 and I like it but having something actually affixed to the bumper would be even better. It really is hard to find aftermarket for our trucks. I'll need to do some more digging about the exhaust. My biggest concern is making sure the exhaust goes away and doesn't get into the cab. CO poisoning can ruin your day.

Originally Posted by Stadt
There has been nothing I have seen to the extent of protection. I have seen the bed sides be chopped for a better departure angle and exhaust dumped right after the axle or before. I am contemplating creating a bumper similar to the ones for the Tacomas, where they cut the bed flush on line with the bumper, and build coverage out to the bed sides. Like the picture below. I also plan to make a tire swing out carrier, as the 35"x11" spare I have sits pretty low. So little aftermarket coverage for F-150s nowadays.

Quick Reply: Rear panel protection