Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Off-Road: First Mud

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 AM
F150 Forum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-Road: First Mud

Calling all long time off-roaders, what is one piece of advice that you wish someone had told you before you first hit the mud?
Old 07-25-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a long-time off-roader I would tell you to avoid the mud since it gets inside everything, holds moisture and causes rust.

If you really like getting the truck dirty and plan on hitting mud for the fun of it instead of having to go through mud to continue down the trail then I would say mount a winch before going. A winch is the best tool you'll have off-road when it comes to not tearing up your truck. It also helps tremendously in flipping your buddies back over when they roll onto their lid.

Other thoughts... Momentum is your friend in moderation...make sure all vent hoses are properly connected and mounted up high...keep the windows closed when mudding / bogging...Any mud hole you haven't watched someone hit, take a stick and check bottom hardness and water depth in the left and right ruts before attempting and check how deep the ruts are compared to the center. A simple looking mud hole can surprise you and next thing you know you are up to the door handles in mud, high centered and very stuck.

Know the difference in how to navigate hard bottom vs soft.

Never wheel alone unless you know the trail extremely well.
The following users liked this post:
Atturo Tire (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

"You will spend at least 3 hours washing your truck afterwards"
Old 07-25-2018, 12:16 PM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

When you are done, put a lawn sprinkler under your truck and let it run for about an hour.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

"Don't mud your daily driver" -advice that took me about 15 years to learn. damn it was fun though... but now i have trail toys that don't have to get me to work on monday.

Proper recovery gear. get it, put it in a place thats easy to get to. dont be cheap, its not "if" you get stuck, its "when". practice in a "controlled environment"

Same with first aid.

Some kind of little powerwasher, or a good pressure tip for a garden hose. please pre-wash before you go to the carwash, i used to work at one and its a miserable ****ing mess

dirt is deceiving, see pics. top layer was firm, the rest was not....

Bolt cutters, bleach water, rag. when someone tries to write in the mud on your fender/hood/etc..., cut their finger off. keep the receipt, you'll only need to do it once.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:59 PM
Proud Southerner

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Lift it, horsepower , horsepower and more horsepower, tall aggressive mud tires, winch, hilift Jack, horsepower,

sure you can mud without horsepower but it sure helps to have more than you think you need .

Quick Reply: Off-Road: First Mud