Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

New kid here, teach me tire clearances

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question New kid here, teach me tire clearances

Hello all,
I'm new to an old 2016 XLT, which I'm looking to raise about 3" and run 33x12.5x17 tires. I'm eyeing the Stage 3 Boss trail suspension package (link), and 17"x9"(-12mm) wheels mated to said tires.
Will I be needing to take a sawzall to the fenders and bumper to deal with bumper clearances?
Also how do people deal with cycling different tire sizes seasonally? I haven't found a real 33" or 35" snow tire, which means in the winter I will be running stock 265x60R17 to have actual grip on the refrozen ice and snow road are made from here.

Thanks, and greetings!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

(where are you ?)
You're flirting with trouble if you increase your height by 3" due to the dramatic increase to the CV joint angle. It's not instant death or anything, but 3 inches is alot to add with no other driveline mods. Did you consider [slightly more conservative] strut spacers? A pair of 2" spacers would be astronomically cheaper, and should still permit approx. the tires you wanna run.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of how the stock suspension feels so I'm tempted by the coil overs from the ride aspect more so than lift heights. Most of the leveling coil overs I've seen max out at 3" and come preset at around 2.5", and the internets claim the <3" lift is find on the CV joints. Another question I have, by lifting the nose by 3" inches am I losing said 3" from the downwards suspension stroke?
Also I'm in Montana

Last edited by stratoroc; 05-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Find some YouTube videos. Look at custom offsets.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:04 AM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

...by lifting the nose by 3" inches am I losing said 3" from the downwards suspension stroke?

If changing nothing else with the stock suspension, yes.

How would you be with just a 2" lift or level? I ask, because the Bilstein 5100s provide up to a 2.1" lift by virtue of the coil spring saddle position (only accessible before installation, mind you. Once on the truck you cannot get at them to make any adjustment) are an inexpensive upgrade to the factory suspension damping, and their installation front and rear will transform your truck's ride quality and improve your truck's handling dramatically.
The following users liked this post:
Hrlydave (08-04-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I would reconsider that particular kit as well. 700 lb springs are very heavy for a truck that isn’t armored up with a winch. That thing will ride rough and have zero downtravel. Apples was explaining that too. You can run 33” tires without much trimming. It might be some minor stuff on the plastic parts of the bumper.

Wrangler duratracs on method wheels would give you year round tires that handle great in snow and last about 40,000 miles before they start to hum like something fierce. I had them before I moved to 35’s.

This fox kit kit will give you adjustable lift in the front and better overall ride. Replacement UCA’s would be optional and not required if you don’t off-road much.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/FO...uspension.html
The following users liked this post:
Apples (05-12-2019)

Quick Reply: New kid here, teach me tire clearances