Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Need some help w/ shock replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need some help w/ shock replacement.

Hi guys,

I have a 2014 F150 Screw XLT.

For a while, my plan has been to put the Fox 2.0 system on all 4 corners of the truck, but I am starting to wonder if I really need to put that much down.

80% of the time, I drive on the streets, but I do spend 20% of the time offroad, whether it be gravel, or trails to get to fishing spots/ just messing around.

The deal is, I want something that is going to perform better than stock on gravel/ dirt and get rid of the shudder these trucks have when hitting bumps. I do like driving fairly quick. I'm just wondering If I need to drop 1100 on a four corner fox replacement, or if I should just go with bilsteins for my needs. this will never be a mall cruiser truck, it does see quite a bit of dirt, but if the bilsteins are good enough to hold up on dirt, and perhaps 20/30 mins at a time of quick trail driving they would work fine. Need some opinions on people who have had both or have had one or the other before i pull the trigger.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:07 AM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

Sounds like you offroad regularly. You do *not* want to have to get back at those front dampers after they're installed (unless you're paying a tech to do the job) so if I were you I'd pony up for the Fox. The Bilsteins are nice, yes, but... if you like to hit the bumps hard and fast I'd go with a damper with an additional, external reservoir.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

Do it right the first time and go with Fox 2.0's all the way around.

Bilstein are nice shocks but for what you do, it might not be enough.

JT
The following users liked this post:
Krucyfyx (06-13-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Take it from someone that had Bilsteins (note: "had"). There's no way on this green earth a set of Bilsteins will come close to performing like a proper shock set up. Bilsteins made my truck feel like I was driving a school bus.

Buy the best and cry once...
Old 06-12-2017, 11:12 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Baja kits sells king 2.5 coilovers with piggyback rear shocks. They also have a replacement UCA that gives you more travel without breaking the bank. They mop the floor with fox 2.0's. Another guy posted up how fox hosed him on the warranty after his 2.0's failed him as he drives down fire roads often. After that post it was clear that the 2.0's aren't enough for off-road use.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kkline
Baja kits sells king 2.5 coilovers with piggyback rear shocks. They also have a replacement UCA that gives you more travel without breaking the bank. They mop the floor with fox 2.0's. Another guy posted up how fox hosed him on the warranty after his 2.0's failed him as he drives down fire roads often. After that post it was clear that the 2.0's aren't enough for off-road use.
As much as I would love to drop 4 grand and put kings in the front and rear, it just isn't feasable at the moment. I drive hard, but I don't drive Baja hard (Yet)
Right now I just want something to last me until the warranty is up on the pickup. After that, it's fair game. The plan is to save and be able to turn this truck into a mild pre-runner. Montana trails aren't too bad, its mostly gravel and maybe a few ruts here and there. I would like to get a few mods done before I go bumping around too hard like ADD front and rear bumpers, lund rock sliders, a few more lights (I have 2 in the grill, but will be adding rigid hyperspots/fogs on the venom bumper, as well as A series on the sides so I can see stuff in the fields beside the truck, and maybe a set of floods in the rear. If you get the chance, check out my build in the member builds section, it will give you an idea of what I'm going for.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Baja Kits
Do it right the first time and go with Fox 2.0's all the way around.

Bilstein are nice shocks but for what you do, it might not be enough.

JT
Just out of curiosity, (I'm not committing or anything) what would the cost be for king on all 4 corners, as well as UCAs and LCAs? I won't be buying for at least another year, but an end goal amount would be good to save up.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by STingray1300
Take it from someone that had Bilsteins (note: "had"). There's no way on this green earth a set of Bilsteins will come close to performing like a proper shock set up. Bilsteins made my truck feel like I was driving a school bus.

Buy the best and cry once...
Thank you!

How are the boss' treating you?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:38 AM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

Bilsteins made my [2013] truck feel like I was driving a school bus.
To no one in particular...

Bilstein recalibrated the 5100 Series for the '15+ alum bodied trucks that are +/- 700 lbs lighter weight. We had to wait quite a while when estimated release dates were pushed back again and again. As a factory damper replacement, they have transformed my truck into something even more fun to drive. At under $400 shipped, they're a great value and for a dual-purpose rig should not be overlooked.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Krucyfyx
Thank you!

How are the boss' treating you?
Awesome. And Alex @ F150/Halo Lifts is a tremendous help getting things dialed in.