Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Long travel questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 01:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Long travel questions

I've had my 2013 4x4 screw for a few months now and I'm ready to start modifying it. I'm not into lifted trucks, but I am a huge fan of practical long travel off road vehicles.

I'd like to go the long travel route and I'm interested in installing the kit offered by Brenthel/Baja Kits. My question is, if I install the Fiberwerx fender flares and don't install a bed cage, would I still be able to utilize my full bed? I need the area for storage for my camping gear, surfboards, and a tent that sets up in my bed with the tailgate dropped. I also use my truck for hauling material at work occasionally.

I really want a long travel truck with 37" tires, but I can't sacrifice losing my bed over building one. I have the $ saved up and I'm ready to pull trigger on the build. Can someone let me know if this is going to make or break my project? Thanks
Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you need a long travel kit? I'm assuming you're referring to their race kit? Might be total overkill for what you will actually need. For most people, raptor upper and lower arms along with a 3.0 coilover will be beyond their actual needs. For the rear, Deavers and a 3.0 or 2.5 bypass will likely be more then enough. Also, the rear glass will not hinder bed space. What type of off-roading do you plan on doing?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dozer466
Do you need a long travel kit? I'm assuming you're referring to their race kit? Might be total overkill for what you will actually need. For most people, raptor upper and lower arms along with a 3.0 coilover will be beyond their actual needs. For the rear, Deavers and a 3.0 or 2.5 bypass will likely be more then enough. Also, the rear glass will not hinder bed space. What type of off-roading do you plan on doing?
My last F150 was an 06 with Bilsteins all around and Camburg UCAs on 35s. It was fun but at the end of the day I was getting smoked each time I went to Mexico with my friends. The truck felt too loose if I tried to take it over 60 off road, I want to keep up with my buddy's Toyota FJ and Lexus GX, both are long travel with triple bypass in the front and can do a solid 10-20 mph faster than me on dirt and lose me in the dunes or long beaches just as easy.

I want something that feels more planted at high speed, that's why I want to step up to long travel. If Raptor components will get me there I'm not opposed to going that route. Where is a good place to buy Raptor UCAs/LCAs? I'm sure a used set would be cheaper than all new Baja Kits race kit but I haven't seen any and have checked on eBay for a couple months.

I'm not taking the truck off any jumps but I do want to be able to drive it fast and in control in the desert.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Check out TascaParts. New upper and lower control arms are around $1040 total, axles assemblies are another $500 for the pair, outer tierods are around $150 for the pair. You can use the stock spindle that you currently have on your truck. There are a few sets of used raptor 3.0's on other forums that you could pick up (front and rear). Deavers and a 3.0 bypass in the rear will make a huge difference, you will also retain 100% of your bed. If you're on the fence about the raptor suspension versus the race kit, check out some youtube videos of some raptor runs. It may give you a better perspective on what the suspension is able to handle. What motor and gears are in your truck?
The following users liked this post:
WarSurfer (07-16-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Check out TascaParts. New upper and lower control arms are around $1040 total, axles assemblies are another $500 for the pair, outer tierods are around $150 for the pair. You can use the stock spindle that you currently have on your truck. There are a few sets of used raptor 3.0's on other forums that you could pick up (front and rear). Deavers and a 3.0 bypass in the rear will make a huge difference, you will also retain 100% of your bed. If you're on the fence about the raptor suspension versus the race kit, check out some youtube videos of some raptor runs. It may give you a better perspective on what the suspension is able to handle. What motor and gears are in your truck?
I have the 5.0 with 3.73 but I'll regear it when I get the bigger tires.

On that note, will the Raptor setup fit 37"s without rubbing? I'm fine with cutting plastic if the answer is yes, but if it will rub at all when compressed or turning I'll just do 35"s. I still have the 18" Methods from my last truck, are there any backspacing requirements that I need with Raptor suspension?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 AM

There aren't any backspacing concerns if you're running the stock raptor UCA. If you plan to run a uniball UCA in the future backspacing will come into play. As for tire size, who's glass do you plan on running? You may need to trim the glass some. What offset are your wheels?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:36 PM

There aren't any backspacing concerns if you're running the stock raptor UCA. If you plan to run a uniball UCA in the future backspacing will come into play. As for tire size, who's glass do you plan on running? You may need to trim the glass some. What offset are your wheels?
The wheels I have are Method 305 series 18x9, going off their website it says the backspacing is 18/5.75". Would these clear if I upgrade to uniballs?

For the glass I really like the look of the one piece kits with the latches. Fiberwerx has one with a 6" buldge that says it will clear 37" tires, would 6" be too wide of a bulge since the raptor travel is only 3" wider than stock? I don't want the finished product to look silly. Are there other/better options than Fiberwerx for glass?
Old 07-15-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the Bajakits mid travel (prerunner) kit on my 2016 and although I'm not out at the dunes railing on the truck every weekend, it feels great having a solid suspension when I do take it out. Stock Raptor suspension would have probably been enough for me but since I intend to keep my truck forever it was a solid investment to me. Bajakits makes nice stuff you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

^^^ This ^^^
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To hijack the thread temporarily, will the 1st or 2nd generation raptor control arms fit a 2016 F150?

Quick Reply: Long travel questions