Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

How hard could it be really?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 11:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How hard could it be really?

Okay, I want to add one of the 2 inch suspension kits. I’m thinking the Rousch. The thing is—I really want to do it myself. The other thing—I have little experience working on trucks. I’ve watched the videos though and it seems fairly straightforward as long as you have the right equipment.

Am I setting myself up for disaster?
Old 01-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,075 Likes on 6,508 Posts

Is this a spacer, or real suspension lift?
Old 01-05-2020, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by johnday in BFE
Is this a spacer, or real suspension lift?

Suspension lift. The Roush 2.0. I’ve watched all the videos. I can get all the equipment including probably the hydraulic lift. I’m just not seeing the difficulty, but I’m a little concerned I’m massively underestimating it...
Old 01-05-2020, 01:25 AM
Moddicted

Received 388 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcogen
Suspension lift. The Roush 2.0. I’ve watched all the videos. I can get all the equipment including probably the hydraulic lift. I’m just not seeing the difficulty, but I’m a little concerned I’m massively underestimating it...
It’s not difficult. It just needs to be done right. If you trust that You can do all the steps correctly and torque all the nuts and bolts to torque specs then i don’t see why you shouldn't do it. I did mine myself with no issues. I didnt use a hydraulic lift or a press. I left them at what the factory set it at. Which was about 2 1/4”

I found cj pony parts video to be the best method. No need to remove the axle nut or loosen it. Loosen the lca bolts and pry down to get the coil-over out. This way I had zero iwe issues (I’ve read that others had issues with the iwe’s after removing the axle nut).

When I tightened back up the lca bolts I didn't mark where they were originally and i didn't have any issues with alignment. Although you could mark the lca bolts before loosening them.

When I had my alignment done 4Wheelparts insisted that I need a camber kit. I disagreed but let them do it to make the alignment easier for them and future alignments.

When they showed me the alignment readout. Camber was within specs before the alignment. Caster was the only thing needed to be adjusted. Just make sure you get an alignment and as much neg caster as possible. Its make the vehicle stable and track straight. If caster is too little you truck might feel loose with the added lift.

the fox 2.0 is a great kit enjoy it. I know i beat the **** out of my truck this weekend and it begged for more.

Last edited by ABF150Fan; 01-05-2020 at 01:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ABF150Fan
It’s not difficult. It just needs to be done right. If you trust that You can do all the steps correctly and torque all the nuts and bolts to torque specs then i don’t see why you shouldn't do it. I did mine myself with no issues. I didnt use a hydraulic lift or a press. I left them at what the factory set it at. Which was about 2 1/4”

I found cj pony parts video to be the best method. No need to remove the axle nut or loosen it. Loosen the lca bolts and pry down to get the coil-over out. This way I had zero iwe issues (I’ve read that others had issues with the iwe’s after removing the axle nut).

When I tightened back up the lca bolts I didn't mark where they were originally and i didn't have any issues with alignment. Although you could mark the lca bolts before loosening them.

When I had my alignment done 4Wheelparts insisted that I need a camber kit. I disagreed but let them do it to make the alignment easier for them and future alignments.

When they showed me the alignment readout. Camber was within specs before the alignment. Caster was the only thing needed to be adjusted. Just make sure you get an alignment and as much neg caster as possible. Its make the vehicle stable and track straight. If caster is too little you truck might feel loose with the added lift.

the fox 2.0 is a great kit enjoy it. I know i beat the **** out of my truck this weekend and it begged for more.

https://youtu.be/yN-EV-ufgt8
thanks very much. I’m gonna get it and give it a try. And if fu*k it up, heck, it only money. 😬
Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,075 Likes on 6,508 Posts

Oh, it's a pair of coilovers and rear shocks, I was thinking of a suspension lift.
Anyway, likely one of the easiest to do, take out the olde, stick in the new. If you're at all comfortable with tools, you can do it.
@ABF150Fan and I sorta disagree on a couple things, but that's OK, no two guys are likely to do it the same way.
I never touch LCA or UCA, except to unbolt the UCA ball joint. I do remove the spindle nut, and pull the knuckle and CV shaft apart. On my '17, I've had it apart 3 times, soon to be 4, my '12, 3 times, and a few other neighbor kids trucks, and never had a problem with the IWEs. This video will show you how to do it, nothing fancy at all.
Ultimately, you choose which way you want to go, neither way is wrong.
The following users liked this post:
ABF150Fan (03-02-2022)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:11 AM

This should help on the torque, from the new Fox Performance kit, even with them replacing some nuts and bolts.

Quick Reply: How hard could it be really?