Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

FOX DSC Coilovers : Adjusting Pre-Load

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FOX DSC Coilovers : Adjusting Pre-Load

Was wondering if you guys can pinpoint me to the right direction on setting up pre-load on my FOX 2.5 DSC Coil-overs.

I have a McGaughys 6.5" lift and went with the 6" coilover to replace the strut and spacer.

Originally I had my coilovers turned to give me 1" more lift upfront to clear my tires. But a few months ago I installed a 2" Leveling kit puck on top of the coilover + Icon Delta UCA's and an add-a-leaf in the rear.

It gave me alot more lift than expected and I adjusted the coil-overs pre-load to 0 and left it as is. I know the coil-overs have 650# springs.

The truck rides incredibly smooth upfront, almost as good as my E63 AMG on Touring mode.
It's been a few thousand miles and it's something I want to address as it feels kind of sketchy when your cornering at a moderate speed and you hit a hump on the road.
On my Corvette my PFADT coilovers recommended 5mm of pre-load from zero but I can't find anything for these FOX. I called FOX and re-directed me to BDS and guy seemed to have no idea what I was talking about.

Truck weights ~3000lb's upfront I'd say, given that the the springs are 650# they should compress about 2-1/3" with the weight of the truck.

Anyways does anyone know what pre-load is the minimum requirement on these?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Have you tried adjusting the DSC clockwise to close off the fluid flow a little more, this will make it harder for the strut to compress. Fully closed will be the hardest ride and fully open will be the softest. This will have more impact on how the shock compressed compared to the spring. The springs main job is to uncompress the suspension where as the strut and fluid flow is what helps with compression. This is not saying that the spring doesn't have anything to do with ride quality or compression, it certainly does, it just isn't the main job of the spring.

On my rzr and motorycycle when I have the flow fully open (softest setting) they are super cushy cadillac like feel. But this allows the rzr to bounce too much and bottom out the rear. It is also really hard to control off road. Closing off the adjuster 3 clicks (clockwise) on the back makes it still cushy but now the back isn't bouncing all around or bottoming out. I believe my front is 1 or 2 clicks closed from fully open.

Same with the motorcycle, the "stock" settings are great for a track setting where the pavement is perfect, but street ride, they were too stiff and it felt like I was riding on a wood. I felt every bump and it wasn't a pleasant ride. I Opened up the flow like 3 clicks (counter-clockwise) and now it is beautiful and I barely feel the bumps!

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 10-30-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: FOX DSC Coilovers : Adjusting Pre-Load