Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Coilover lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coilover lift

Needs yalls opinion.
this will be my first lift so I've been reaching on and off for almost a year.
I was going to get a 4in but everything I'm reading people say they regret it an go to a 6 or the shop told them they'd regret it an did then went to a 6 so ima try a 6.

I drive on lease roads out in West Texas so I want a coilover lift for the ride quality. Which of these lifts do yall think?? Also I was eyeing the procomp just don't have a photo

Vortex struts and shocks $1000 cheaper. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on rc tho but mostly about the shocks struts they offer

Old 09-03-2018, 10:14 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

BDS is you are fine with the price tag. They pretty much highly regarded as one of the best.

Don't even consider Procomp.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Ya I'd rather spend the extra an do it right the 1st time as apposed to getting a spacer lift hating the ride then Having to fork out even more for the coilover kit.

I want a clean smooth ride , well as smooth as could be expected with a lift lol.

Good to know about the procomp thank you
Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 AM

Stumbled on this. I believe zone is made by BDS
Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 AM

Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 AM

Nevermind still uses a spacer
Old 09-04-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

What are your plans for the truck? How bad are these roads and how fast do you want to travel down them?

Personally I would piece together a zone lift with the BDS shocks. It will save you around $500 off of the lift price. BDS and zone aren't the same exact company but they are both owned by fox and share similar designs. BDS is a little more refined with a little better warranty, although if you can break a piece on the zone lift, you probably shouldn't have been doing what you were doing anyway....

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/F4...-Lift-Kit.html

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/88...Lift-Kits.html

Also spacer are used everyday in lifts. The only time that they will be an issue is if you are going crazy. They just create another bend point for the suspension (where the spacer and coil over join). If you aren't jumping or trying to drive 60mph than you will be fine with the zone and halo option (I was told by stage 3 that the halo's are good up to about 30 mph over a semi-rough terrain).

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 09-04-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:45 PM

The roads are bad but can't travel fast on them. The regular roads are crap out here.

Only reason I was wanting to avoid spacer is I was told with a good coilover lift the ride is day and night compared to a spacer. But I guess if I got a decent set of new struts and used that in conjunction with a spacer it would ride similar to just a long 6in lift strut.

Again 1st lift so I'm not vers seasoned.

The truck is 60% pavement princess minus the drive to an from work which are the lease roads, will insert picture for reference ..and the occasional weekend fun. So my main goal with this build is it get that badass look of the lift but retain as good as possible ride quality for bumpy backroads hwy, city etc

Kinda like this
Old 09-04-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Ya, a good coil over and spacer will be better than using stock suspension and spacer and you most likely won't be able tell a difference between a good coil over with spacer and a nearly identical coil over made for a lift..

But there is a difference. Most coil overs made for 4"/6" lifts are 2.5" coil overs. These will ride different compared to a 2.0" coil over which you can pretty much only get for 0-3" levels and set them as close to 0" as possible and use the spacer. They are around $1000 for a good set of 2.0s where as 2.5s are $1700+ for a good set. I said different because 2.5"s are (generally) more geared for off road and their on road performance can be harsher than a 2.0 which is kind of like the middle ground of an off roading shock and on road travel shock. The fox 2.5" coil over is generally reviewed as one of the better on road performance compared to icon/king/etc.

I am personally going to go with a 4" zone lift here in a couple months with the fox 2.5's in the front and 2.0's in the back, but I want to keep up with my rzr sometimes
Old 09-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 765 Likes on 462 Posts

I went with BDS because of the quality of the components and the warranty. It's really hard to beat the quality of the BDS kits. I went with the 6" kit ONLY because they don't make an 8" kit. Also, I do regret not getting the coil overs. My plan was to save a little bit of money and do the coil overs later myself; however, that hasn't happened yet because the "finance manager" hasn't approved that purchase. Lol. I had the money at the time and I should've done it then. Overall, I love my BDS kit.

Quick Reply: Coilover lift