Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

what kind of ride to expect with 20" rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of ride to expect with 20" rims

I just got new 20 inch rims and new tires. I did look at tires today and they are 285 50 r20. I was told that they balanced out perfect. My truck has only 3200 miles on it. So why do I get a vibration in the steering column at speeds between 55 and 70. Not all the time but most of the time. Some are saying that is the characterstics of a wider tire and i tend to disagree. I had a nissan 4 wheel drive with years ago with 4 inch suspension lift 4 inch body lift and 33's on it... rode good... no vibration in it... Another person told me i needed to use a type of gas (gas remember name now) for filling tires instead of air and that would help... anyone got any ideas...???!!!! one other thing is that being that the wheels are centered by the lug nots I am thinking maybe they need balanced on the truck....
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

You should see if you can get hub centering rings for the wheels. Otherwise, getting them "load" balanced usually helps a lot.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM

thanks and yeap i did forget about the spacer rings..
Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 AM

well the truck and wheels are going back to shop tomorrow. The wheels i got are lugcentric.. I also found out that ford sometimes uses a type of clip on the assembly line to hold rotors on.. I was told that sometimes an aftermarket wheel will not go over those like the stock wheels... but hopefuly i should find out tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM

the _"GAS"_ is NITROGEN. it does not have any water molecules in it..

nitrogen does not matter if the tire or outside air temp changes, the nitrogen stays the same PSI.

i am an helicopter mechanic and nitrogen is always used in aviation tires..

Quick Reply: what kind of ride to expect with 20" rims