Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Tire Suggestions (15 F150 Platinum FX4)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire Suggestions (15 F150 Platinum FX4)

I have a 2015 F150 Platinum with 26k miles on the original Hankook tires. They are getting close to the wear bars and I am starting to look for a replacement. I have found the Hankooks to be decent tires (semi quiet, track well, good wet tracking, etc), but really don' like the tread life.

So far at the list I have the KO2's and Michelin defenders. If you have these, can you speak to the following compared to the stock Hankooks?

- Tire Tracking/handling on highways/roads
- Softness/firmness of ride
- Sound level (quietness of tires)
- Wear
- Wet tracking performance

Also, what size would you recommend for the stock 20's? I have no lift/leveling kit and did like the appearance of the Hankooks when new. Now that they are fairly worn, they look a little small in the wheel wheels. Pics would be great if you've got them.

I spend 99% of my time on the road so the Michelin's may be the better bet, but I really like the aggressive look of the KO2's.

Thanks in advance for your input and sorry for yet another "help with tires" thread.

Last edited by Aflick; 04-08-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

I am facing the same dilemma and have run both sets of tires. The BFGoodrich is a great tire in all conditions, but it cannot be compared directly to the Michelin Defender since they are two different animals. For highway driving, the Michelin Defender is hands down the best tire. Great snow, rain and ice traction, quiet and excellent wear. I swap out most of my new vehicles to the Michelin Defender (previously LTX M/S2) when new.

BFGoodrich lacks in the following areas compared to Michelin: More road noise which gets worse with tread wear, wear quicker, worse gas mileage due to higher rolling resistance and stiffer sidewall, BUT it is a great tire for occasional off-roading or winter weather. If you want to stay within the generally accepted standard of 4% to OEM size, the following sizes are available without a leveling kit. If you tow, you can get the Michelin in either an XL or LT load rating but the sizes are limited

275/55R20
275/60R20 (3.4% bigger height)
285/55R20 (1.4% bigger height)
295/55R20 (2.7" bigger height, but very limited availability) ON EDIT: After reviewing a few threads, a few guys have complained of rubbing on the UCA with stock rims.

Last edited by GMC to Ford; 04-09-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Thank you for your input! Did you notice a MPG difference between the two tires?

I really should get the Michelin's but I don't know how well I will handle the looks of the non-aggressive tread on my truck. What I need is the look of the KO2's with the road performance of the defenders. I did just purchase my wife a set of premiers for her SUV...maybe I should have gotten the defenders instead.

As far as off-roading, I have a new jeep sitting in the garage with KM2's so I have the offroad capability if it's ever really needed.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Aflick
Thank you for your input! Did you notice a MPG difference between the two tires?

I really should get the Michelin's but I don't know how well I will handle the looks of the non-aggressive tread on my truck. What I need is the look of the KO2's with the road performance of the defenders. I did just purchase my wife a set of premiers for her SUV...maybe I should have gotten the defenders instead.

As far as off-roading, I have a new jeep sitting in the garage with KM2's so I have the offroad capability if it's ever really needed.
I am getting ready to install Yokohama Geolandar G015. It ranks 2nd below the BFG on TireRack comes in an XL load rating/60,000 mile warranty on 275/55R20. A LT tire is available in LT285/55R20 which is about 0.3" bigger in diameter than any other 285 tire manufacturer. The LT tire has a 50,000 mile warranty and it is rated for severe snow. A 275/60R20 (1.1" taller) is available in standard load. Great price, great reviews, mileage warranty and slightly oversized.

Last edited by GMC to Ford; 04-13-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:39 PM

Just as an update, I stopped by discount tire today to have some tires quoted. They ended up have a set of Michelin Defenders (275/60/20) that had been "used" on sale. They had been driven approximately 50 miles and removed. They were manufactured in March of this year and still had the little rubber pieces on them. They were such a good price (and included the full mileage warranty), I bought them.

Initial thoughts - They ride much softer and quieter than the Hankooks that were removed. I have always thought my truck was a little rough over bumps but I attributed that to the FX4 suspension. The tires have made a huge impact on this. I was very reluctant to go with a road tire instead of an all-terrain but after riding on them for a 100 or so miles, I have no regrets.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Michelin defenders, and I love them. Quite ride, great looking. I hope you enjoy the ones you got and have great service out of them.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you post a pic with the defenders?

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Defenders are great tires...test 1st but they handle remarkable on wet & light ice!
Old 05-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by TxBrian
Can you post a pic with the defenders?
My wife has my truck today so I can't take a picture...however I do have this photo on my phone. Sorry for the darkness of the tires/wheel wells but it will give a general idea.

Name:  IMG_2998.jpg
Views: 2331
Size:  299.9 KB