Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Tire Brand/Model and its effect on mpg

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Brand/Model and its effect on mpg

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with changing tires and seeing an impact on their miles per gallon.

I have had two people tell me that if I change my current tires from brand x to brand y, I will see an improvement in mpg.

What are your experiences and thoughts on this? Can changing tires really make an impact on my mpg? With all the "speculative" gas price increases going on, mpg should be on our minds.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

The factory tires will usually give you the best mpg's because they are usually P rated and light in weight. When you go to a heavier LT rated tire and that's taller and wider then the stocker's your mileage will suffer. LT rated tires are stronger and more flat resistent and will for the most part last longer. The lighter your tire and wheel assembly's are at all 4 corner's your mileage, performance and braking will be better. My mpg's dropped roughly 2 mpg going to a larger and heavier tire.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:33 PM

Stock tires will no doubt give the best mileage. Also, going up in the size will hurt mileage.

I guess I am looking for someone who has gone from one manufacturer to another, but kept the same size. I wonder how noticeable it is to mpg by changing brands or models.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Manufactuars will claim to be more fuel efficiant then one another but we all know what statistics mean especialy coming from people who want you to think one way or the other.

I have done tires for almost 10 years and never known anyone that has noticed. I have never seen a artical about it or any proof that any tire is better.

Tread will have some effect so the less aggressive is better but I am sure air pressure and A/T vs M/T or just a street tread will have more of an effect then brand x and y.

Sorry i can't say NO you won't gain anything but I highly doubt it would be more then .3 unless you can verify the new tire you put on is signifigantly lighter then what is currently on and at that you can't drop much weight from one tire to the next in the same size.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been thinking ahead to when I will need to buy new tires and I would like a more aggressive tire so that I can go off road. But I am torn because I dont want to lift my truck and I dont want the noise associated with more aggressive tread when compared to my stock Rugged Trails. So I have been using tirerack.com and discounttire.com to compare tires based on tread noise, performance, weight and comfort. I really need to learn what all of the ratings on the tires mean so I can compare apples to apples.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by djjr50
Ive been thinking ahead to when I will need to buy new tires and I would like a more aggressive tire so that I can go off road. But I am torn because I dont want to lift my truck and I dont want the noise associated with more aggressive tread when compared to my stock Rugged Trails. So I have been using tirerack.com and discounttire.com to compare tires based on tread noise, performance, weight and comfort. I really need to learn what all of the ratings on the tires mean so I can compare apples to apples.

Most modern A/Ts will offer all the traction you need and they don't make much noise.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:18 AM

This might be a little late, but I was running general grabber hts 265/70/17s on my 06. Averaging 14mpg with mixed driving. I wanted a more agressive tire because I have gone off road (mainly mud, snow, and a field or2) for work purposes. Bought a wheel tire pkg thru discounttiredirect, because I still have a good 20 or 30k left on the generals. Highway Ive got 17 w/ no stops, so wanted to be able to swap out if I knew I had a long ride, if my new tires killed my mpgs. The pkg was with hankook dynapro atms. Guess what! No mpg change, and the truck rides smooth as hell. I did stick with p rated, because I dont haul a trailer, and generally the bed is half empty. I only have a little over 600 miles on these, but so far so good.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by paul11273
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with changing tires and seeing an impact on their miles per gallon.

I have had two people tell me that if I change my current tires from brand x to brand y, I will see an improvement in mpg.

What are your experiences and thoughts on this? Can changing tires really make an impact on my mpg? With all the "speculative" gas price increases going on, mpg should be on our minds.

Thanks!
As others have said tread pattern and weight make a difference but also going from stock to a larger size will introduce error in speedometer and odometer readings, which will give errors in MPG calculations. With larger diameter you will be going further than the odometer indicates which means your actual MPG will be better than what you calculate.

In my case I went from stock 235x75x15 to 31x10.5x15. My calculated error is about 7.2% Which means my calculated MPG would be 7.2% lower than actual.
Here is an on-line calculator. Enter your stock size from your door sticker.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

In theory even replacing worn tires with the same brand, model, and size will give you an apparent increase in MPG.

Quick Reply: Tire Brand/Model and its effect on mpg