Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

new tires. steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Default new tires. steering wheel vibration

got new tires. 35x12.5x17 mud terrains with big lugs, so very hefty. slight steering wheel vibration at highway speed, even with road force balancing and an alignment. not a deal breaker, more of an annoyance. is this to be expected with a very aggressive tread pattern mt? thanks
Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I did not have that issue with my old Good year fierce attitudes, and my brother didn't have problems on his Toyo M/T's, it was in a '96 dodge though.

Maybe a tire is slightly cupped? I doubt it beings that you said they are new, but you might try to rotate the tires just to see. Only other thing I can think of is maybe taking it to a different shop and seeing if they can figure it out.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:15 PM

took it back to the shop that did the mounting and had them rebalance, and of course the weights were all in different locations, and it didnt improve it. took it to another shop for balancing and its better. im getting new wheels soon so i plan to take it to the dealership for mounting and balancing. maybe somebody there does a better job with the hunter road force machine.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:10 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Default new tires. steering wheel vibration

I ride matched my Cooper STT and I only get a very slight vibration at 90 in the steering wheel. Passengers can't feel it.

You probably just need to have someone else balance them. Make sure they are ride matching them, not just using the road force arm. Balancing is a very tricky science, there are many small things that can be done that make a BIG difference with the end result.

The only tire that I haven't been able to personally balance with out complaints is the Goodyear MTR on a FJ Landcruiser but c'mon that tire isn't really meant for the street lol.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...nce-tires.aspx

Last edited by BassAckwards; 06-06-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 PM

shop talked me into trying balancing beads when i had my wheels mounted with the tires. brand of beads is "Tech Plus." still have vibration above 55 mph. anyone think a different brand of beads (dynabeads seem to get alot of love on the forums) would be worth a try, or are they pretty much all the same?

Quick Reply: new tires. steering wheel vibration