Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Looking for tires. any technical feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Looking for tires. any technical feedback?

So it's time to ditch the 275/55r20 scorpions and i'm at a cross-roads. While I have a 4x4, I don't use it all that much. I do go back to the farm every now and then, and I also go hunting here and there. So Ive done hours upon hours of research and am looking for anybody that has first-hand experience with :

1) Anybody switch to an all-season like the ltx-ms2, wrangler SR-A and regret it? Other than going to the mountains for winter vacation, or some jack-hole cuts me off and i slide off the road, if i don't need an AT tire, why waste the money. If anybody went to an all season tire, did they see any mpg gains from getting rid of the scorpions? Consumer reports rates the scorps as the worst for rolling resistance. I'm also looking at AT tires like the cooper at3, falken wildpeak AT...anybody see mpg differences with these?

2) Going up to a 275/60R20. All the tires I'm looking at (cooper at3, michelin ltx at2, ms2, falken wildpeak at, etc.), these are all lighter than the stock pirelli by anywhere from 2-8 pounds. In calling these manufactuerers, the contact patch is also narrower with a 275/60 than it is w/ a 275/55 for whatever reason. In theory my city mileage should drop with the extra effort to get up and go, but my highway mileage should go up. Anybody see anything one way or the other? I'd like the larger size to fill out my fender but don't want to sacrifice mpg.

I appreciate any feedback from your experience regardless of tire brand.

Quick Reply: Looking for tires. any technical feedback?