Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice

Hey all,

Long time lurker here looking for some advice. I want to put some new tires on my 2012 FX4, but am unsure what to get.

My first choice would be toyo m/ts in 285/70/18. They're the size I want and look pretty BA. The problem is I'm moving out to the prairies (Saskatchewan) and am worried about their performance on snowy/icy highways, especially on my drive from Vancouver.

So I'm also looking at a set of Duratracs in 275/70/18. A bit smaller which I'm not too big on, but should be better on the highways.

Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Now days you can read personal reviews on just about every tire made on the web. I just searched out a set of tires for myself, and seems like every site(retailers) I went to had multiple personal reviews for each tire I looked at. Several of 'em mentioned snow/ice in their reviews as well. Google is your friend. Spend an hour or so and you'll easily come away with 15-20 reviews/owner opinions on whichever tire(s) you're considering, in the conditions you'll be driving in.
I'd give you my thoughts, but living in SoKal, ice driving is a very rare occurrence.
FWIW, I thought you treated ice the same way you treat mud, insofar as tire size is concerned. i.e. narrower tread-width to cut through the offending surface as much as possible, as opposed to going wide(r) and floating on the top, like you do for sand.
Good luck with your search! I'm confident you'll be an expert in no time.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
always dirty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Their is no MT;s that will perform better than any all terrain in the snow. GY Dura trac for me is better and you can also put stud s on them for more snow traction
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Default Nitto Trail Grappler's

Originally Posted by 4x4angel
Their is no MT;s that will perform better than any all terrain in the snow. GY Dura trac for me is better and you can also put stud s on them for more snow traction
I do respectfully beg to differ, have a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/55/20's (winter 20"KMC XD 778 Monster wheels) on my 2007 F-150 Supercrew FX2 Sport, front and rear and they handle Buffalo's winter snow and ice better than my Cooper Zeon LTZ's which are rated as A/T's and believe me their IS a difference!
They also are available in the size your looking for. If not, you cannot go
wrong with the Nitto Terra Grapplers, a wonderful and really good performing A/T.

Last edited by Azsoundman; 11-30-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM
always dirty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Azsoundman
I do respectfully beg to differ, have a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/55/20's (winter 20"KMC XD 778 Monster wheels) on my 2007 F-150 Supercrew FX2 Sport, front and rear and they handle Buffalo's winter snow and ice better than my Cooper Zeon LTZ's which are rated as A/T's and believe me their IS a difference!
They also are available in the size your looking for. If not, you cannot go
wrong with the Nitto Terra Grapplers, a wonderful and really good performing A/T.
The nitto trail grappler is not really a full blooded MT's .that is why it work good in snow .it is almost like Xtreem AT''s that Im running here on the midwest during winter season . I think they call it Hybrid .
Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Nitto Terra Grapplers VS. Trail Grapplers

Originally Posted by 4x4angel
The nitto trail grappler is not really a full blooded MT's .that is why it work good in snow .it is almost like Xtreem AT''s that Im running here on the midwest during winter season . I think they call it Hybrid .
True, the Trail Grappler's are located between the Terra Grappler A/T and the Mud Grappler tire. A blend of both worlds. If you are using your truck mostly on paved surface roadways and city / suburb with minable off road use, driving in 1" to 6" of snow, the Terra Grapplers will perform very well all around. See Nitto's web site for a performance comparison of all three. Pick what works best for you and your driving situation. I have run my Trail Grapplers off road in sand, mud, rutted gravel, through streams, up hills and over rock. NEVER had a problem, and my F-150 Supercrew FX2 Sport is only 2 wheel drive! Yes they are a bit noisier than my Cooper LTZ's on the road, But where the Coopers would spin and slide a little on slick hard packed pavement with snow and ice, The Trail Grapplers are 'right there' without any complaints!

Quick Reply: Looking for advice