Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Confounded - LT vs. P-Metric Load Rating

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Confounded - LT vs. P-Metric Load Rating

Need a little education from those experienced with tires........

The chart below is for Duratracs. Where I need some explanation is how is it that the LT C tires have a lower load rating than the P-Metrics. Unless you need the E rated, what is the advantage, if any, by going with the LT C's? Better puncture resistance over Ps...... 4 plys vs. 6?

Thanks for the lesson!

Last edited by Polar Bear F150; 10-11-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

You have to reduce the P metric load rating by 9% if you use them on a truck, SUV, or van.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Are you saying in the example above, you would reduce the max load by 9%? Why would they publish that as the max load? Not trying to be argumentative, but it's not making sense to my simple mind!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

P-metric is what is used on 1/2 ton pickups. You can safely use your load ratings listed if you use a P-metric tire.

The answer to your question is that LT rated tires have deeper tread depth when new, and many times have less silica in the rubber compound. They are meant to hold up better to offroad use. P rated tires are designed to perform better on the road, in rain and snow particularly. P tires are also lighter and more fuel efficient because they have less tread depth.

So it really just comes down to what you need, but I personally would not buy LT-E. That's overkill.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Bear F150
Are you saying in the example above, you would reduce the max load by 9%? Why would they publish that as the max load? Not trying to be argumentative, but it's not making sense to my simple mind!
Yes, that is what I was saying. I do not know why they would publish the max load the way they do or why they dont print the reduced load on the sidewall, too. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I gather the reduction comes from the higher center if gravity of vans, pickups, and SUVs.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec....jsp?techid=70
Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 565 Likes on 403 Posts

Only tires I know of that have reduced loads markings is LT-E's. Different load rating between SRW vs. DRW applications. Reduction for DRW's due to the sidewall bulge possibly rubbing together and overheating the tire.

Frankly I wish the tire manufacturers would do away with the alpha tire rating and stick with the numeric rating.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by WXman
P-metric is what is used on 1/2 ton pickups. You can safely use your load ratings listed if you use a P-metric tire.

The answer to your question is that LT rated tires have deeper tread depth when new, and many times have less silica in the rubber compound. They are meant to hold up better to offroad use. P rated tires are designed to perform better on the road, in rain and snow particularly. P tires are also lighter and more fuel efficient because they have less tread depth.

So it really just comes down to what you need, but I personally would not buy LT-E. That's overkill.

What you're saying makes sense. I still find it difficult to appreciate how the LT265/70-17-C has the same tire weight, basically the same max inflation pressure, but a 209 lb. lower max load rating as compared to the 265/70-17 SL (standard load) tire in this example. The only difference that I can see is that the LT265/70-17-C has 1/16" deeper tread compared to the 265/70-17. Guess where I get hung up is that I would've expected an LT tire to be "tougher" than the standard load tire.