Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

All-Terrain & Hybrid's w/ a Snowflake

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All-Terrain & Hybrid's w/ a Snowflake

Hello all! I can't find any information on this anywhere, and i would just like to know which All-Terrain/Hybrid tires have the peaked mountain with a snowflake that meet winter specifications. I know the KO2 by BFG and the Duratracs have them but I don't know any others. If anyone knows and has opinions on what is better and worse it would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:20 AM

Falken wild peak ATW3.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 565 Likes on 403 Posts

Several other AT tires I can think with the mountain/snowflake symbol is the Yokohama Geolander AT G015, Continental Terrain Contact AT, Sumitomo Encounter AT, Falken Wildpeak Rubitrek.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

My Radar Renegade A/T5s have the peaked-mountain/snowflake symbol, despite the Omni/Radar website not indicating them as such; I don't know if it varies by size (mine are LT275/70/18s). They're decent in deepish snow but not so good on packed snow and ice, so I'm shopping for a set of actual winter tires for winter use. I strongly suspect that other AT tires will be similar—you can add siping to an AT design and have it work better, but a rubber compound soft enough to grip well at low temperatures on packed snow and ice is going to be way too soft at summer temps.

Or, for the visually minded, they work well enough for this:

but are lousy on this:
Old 10-23-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts

I ran Cooper Discover ATW. Pretty good tire
Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Baker
I ran Cooper Discover ATW. Pretty good tire
How long did it last you? How was it in the rain?.. snow?

After much research, I’m either getting the Cooper AT3 or Atw, I am leaning heavily to the atw...but I worry about them in the middle of summer a little. Both seem to be a good overall AT tire choice.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by ThunderStruck007
How long did it last you? How was it in the rain?.. snow?

After much research, I’m either getting the Cooper AT3 or Atw, I am leaning heavily to the atw...but I worry about them in the middle of summer a little. Both seem to be a good overall AT tire choice.
I can't say they lasted a whole long time. I've got just under 30k miles on em and they're getting pretty close to the wear bars. Gonna try to edge out this winter on em. I ran them 365, towed with them, etc. They were excellent in the rain. no complaints about snow either. Mine are also E rated.

Would I run them again? Not sure. Not because they werent good, but I'd like a bit more life out of them, and I always like to try something new. I've ran General Grabbers that were also snow flake rated. Good tire as well. Lasted much longer. Not as good in the snow.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:15 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Have any of you ran or know someone that has ran the Nitto Exo Grappler? Heard some good things, but also heard they were louder than M/T tires, which is kind of odd to me.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Baker
I can't say they lasted a whole long time. I've got just under 30k miles on em and they're getting pretty close to the wear bars. Gonna try to edge out this winter on em. I ran them 365, towed with them, etc. They were excellent in the rain. no complaints about snow either. Mine are also E rated.

Would I run them again? Not sure. Not because they werent good, but I'd like a bit more life out of them, and I always like to try something new. I've ran General Grabbers that were also snow flake rated. Good tire as well. Lasted much longer. Not as good in the snow.
What tire have you liked best that you’ve tried?

I think the at3 last longer than the atw from the reviews I’ve read.

Now I’m between Cooper AT3 and Kumho at51
Old 10-26-2017, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by ThunderStruck007
What tire have you liked best that you’ve tried?

I think the at3 last longer than the atw from the reviews I’ve read.

Now I’m between Cooper AT3 and Kumho at51
Id have to say the atw. Just wish the tread life was better. I'd say for sure the at3 would last longer. Not as soft.