Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Water droplets and sound deadening inside doors

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water droplets and sound deadening inside doors

We were going to install some Hertz 6.5” speakers in the rear doors yesterday using 3/4 partial board to adapt.
I hope there is sufficient room between door panel as we ran out of time last night.
i went to Home Depot and bought some pipe insulation which resembles sound deadening matt, ( yes probably not perfect but will be better than nothing).
Now after taking off passenger door panel there was obviously a lot of water dripping down inner door panel. Is this normal or do I have a leak?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 487 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Dene
We were going to install some Hertz 6.5” speakers in the rear doors yesterday using 3/4 partial board to adapt.
I hope there is sufficient room between door panel as we ran out of time last night.
i went to Home Depot and bought some pipe insulation which resembles sound deadening matt, ( yes probably not perfect but will be better than nothing).
Now after taking off passenger door panel there was obviously a lot of water dripping down inner door panel. Is this normal or do I have a leak?
Door windows have always leaked a little inside of the door. Causes issues with the door speakers. Mostly with the drivers side. If it is coming down the door panel I would say there is a leak
Old 02-09-2018, 10:53 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

It is normal. My doors fill with some water if my front end is lower than the rear on a hill.

Wood may be a poor choice for the door interior. I've heard guys using plastic cutting boards to fill the gap in the doors and adapt speakers to fit. I personally dynamat extremed the exterior and interior door skin and then used 1/4" dynaliner over that. My truck is almost air tight now and also reduced road noise and don't have vibration issues. I installed 6x8 kicker replacements in all 4 doors.

Some pics of the two drivers side doors front and back. They all basically look the same. Black vapor barrier and minimal sound deadening in the door skin. I used 30 sq ft of dynamat on the 4 doors plus 24 sq ft of dynaliner.

Finished.

Stock vapor barrier

Vapor barrier removed

Last edited by Kkline; 02-09-2018 at 10:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kkline:
dbm1175 (09-19-2019), Dene (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 PM

I might add that I did give the wood adapters a generous spray with plastidip to prevent water getting into them and swelling/shrinking etc.
Also a little off topic, we just had time to finish up rear passenger side and I’ve always believed, (from what I’ve researched on various forums), that changing speakers only and not adding more power does nothing.
Well, fading a Sirius XM song to the back, then switching the slider to left then right, then back again, the little Hertz speaker is incredibly cleaner and offers more range.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

a few points for you to consider, take them to heart. i'm only trying to help you from making bad decisions.

first, it's called HOME depot, not CAR depot. what you are wanting to use on your truck is nothing more than asphalt sheeting that was designed for a roof, not the interior of your truck. there is a reason companies that make CLD (constrained layer damper, or what you should be buying) out of butyl and not asphalt anymore. what you are going to use will smell in the summer, it will melt in the heat, it will fall off the door and pool in the bottom most likely plugging your drain holes. don't so it. spend a little money and get the right tool for the right job. would you use a chop saw to cut drywall?

don't use wood as a speaker spacer in a door. and especially not the cheapest wood-type product in the world, particle board. it will rot and fall apart. go to walmart and get some plastic cutting boards (HPDE) for a few dollars and cut them to size. alternatively you can find them from various online retailers including ebay.

spend a little more, get the right product for the job and be done with it forever after the first install. you will be much happier down the road. trust me, i've been down this road many times over the last 25+ years

Originally Posted by Dene
Also a little off topic, we just had time to finish up rear passenger side and I’ve always believed, (from what I’ve researched on various forums), that changing speakers only and not adding more power does nothing.
Well, fading a Sirius XM song to the back, then switching the slider to left then right, then back again, the little Hertz speaker is incredibly cleaner and offers more range.
aftermarket speakers are, for the most part, vastly superior to stock speakers. they will sound better but you are not using them to their full potential without an amp to drive them. another point to consider is that the factory radio has preset eq curves that are designed for the stock speakers. these typically cutoff the low end signals as the craptastic stock speakers can't really handle the lower frequencies by design. it helps to stop people from blowing their stuff up when cranking up the volume. switching to an aftermarket radio would be the first step i would suggest to anyone who wants to upgrade the sounds in their vehicle. depending on the stock system this may not always be affordable to everyone, but they make other products to help with this.

Last edited by nineball; 02-14-2018 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wyo11Scab (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by nineball
a few points for you to consider, take them to heart. i'm only trying to help you from making bad decisions.

first, it's called HOME depot, not CAR depot. what you are wanting to use on your truck is nothing more than asphalt sheeting that was designed for a roof, not the interior of your truck. there is a reason companies that make CLD (constrained layer damper, or what you should be buying) out of butyl and not asphalt anymore. what you are going to use will smell in the summer, it will melt in the heat, it will fall off the door and pool in the bottom most likely plugging your drain holes. don't so it. spend a little money and get the right tool for the right job. would you use a chop saw to cut drywall?

don't use wood as a speaker spacer in a door. and especially not the cheapest wood-type product in the world, particle board. it will rot and fall apart. go to walmart and get some plastic cutting boards (HPDE) for a few dollars and cut them to size. alternatively you can find them from various online retailers including ebay.

spend a little more, get the right product for the job and be done with it forever after the first install. you will be much happier down the road. trust me, i've been down this road many times over the last 25+ years

aftermarket speakers are, for the most part, vastly superior to stock speakers. they will sound better but you are not using them to their full potential without an amp to drive them. another point to consider is that the factory radio has preset eq curves that are designed for the stock speakers. these typically cutoff the low end signals as the craptastic stock speakers can't really handle the lower frequencies by design. it helps to stop people from blowing their stuff up when cranking up the volume. switching to an aftermarket radio would be the first step i would suggest to anyone who wants to upgrade the sounds in their vehicle. depending on the stock system this may not always be affordable to everyone, but they make other products to help with this.
ok, the roll of pipe insulation is going back to HD today. Thanks for that!
I understand about the limitations of the head unit, but will make do with that unfortunately.
The wood that we used is the same stuff the car installers make sub boxes with around my little town, and they recommended it, just coat the hell out out them.
We sprayed them, dried with heat gun and installed. Probably cutting board will be used in from doors even though we have a lot of this rather expensive wood left over. Ugh.
Im no sound guru wanting loud, but I’m tickled pink about the improvement in the rears alone. Now trying to decide to fit 6.5” or 6x9 components in front as I’ve read perhaps round speakers are better?
under passenger seat mini sub also, thinking highly rated Kicker Hideaway.
thanks for your help, appreciate it a lot!

Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM
(TIM) Retired Army 1SG

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

6X9s will give you better midbass. Cruthfield has Focal 6x9 comps on sale for 139.00. 6x9 adapters included so you dont have to make your own baffles. That along with sound deadening should provide great results.
The following users liked this post:
Dene (02-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Water droplets and sound deadening inside doors