Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Using stock Sub Amp to power new Sub upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Using stock Sub Amp to power new Sub upgrade

I have a question about maybe using the stock Sony Sub amp to power a new subwoofer. I have an '11 Lariat supercrew. It has the 700 watt Sony system with Nav. I finally decided to upgrade the speakers. I bought pioneer's. I got a set 6x8 for the rear, and a set of 6.5" components for up front. I'll be waiting for the weather to break before I put them in. But due to back issues I'm gonna have to get either my sister, or maybe my nephew to help. I'm also considering replacing the Sony Subwoofer with a Pioneer 8" shallow mount that's already in an enclosure. I know the consensus is to also replace the Sub amp and run the nec. wires to power it up. But I'm unable to do that with my back. QUESTION: So, can I use the existing Sub amp that's mounted with the stock Sub to power the new Pioneer Sub? I know the stock Sony Sub is a dual coil, so has four wires coming from the amp. The Pioneer is also a dual, but just has one set of push terminals on the enclosure. Does it matter which pair/set of wires I use from the amp?.... In the future I may get better and then be able to do it right. But at the moment, this is where I'm at.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just replaced my 2012 Lariat Sony Sub speaker with the Pioneer TS-SW2002D4 ($62 @ Amazon)

I attached the speaker wires from the stock speaker, then ran a (pair) of single jumper wires between the (+) and the (-) of the sub. This allows the speaker to run @ 1 Ohm.

I literally just did mine today before lunch. (See my post in this forum.)

Not as good as a separate amp. Definitely better than the stock speaker. *I added Polyfill a few years back. Left it in.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I wired up my new Pioneer like the stock speaker. In ADDITION, I added 2 wires. One from positive to positive and another from negative to negative. Huge gains.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:16 PM

That's cool. Glad it worked out. I ordered mine and it's on the way now. Expect to have it by this weekend. I got the Pioneer 8" shallow mount in an enclosure (TS-SWX2002). I'll be using the stock Sony Amp. I know there are four wires for the stock Sub because it has dual voice coils. The Pioneer has the spring clips for the wires. I'm sure it wouldn't matter which pair of the four wires I use to hook up the Pioneer Sub. But would that diminish the power going to the Sub? Or could I hook the two positive and negative wires together to make one each, then attach them to the Pioneer Sub? Anyone do this?....I've already installed my other Pioneer speakers in the truck and I'm anxious to get this Subwoofer in....

Old 05-10-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by greengoose
I wired up my new Pioneer like the stock speaker. In ADDITION, I added 2 wires. One from positive to positive and another from negative to negative. Huge gains.
i don't believe you have that wired correctly. when wiring a sub with dual voice coils in parallel you connect a single positive from the amp to a positive terminal on the sub, then run a jumper from that to the other positive. repeat for the negative.

you have dual lines coming the amplifier which usually means the amplifier is doing the summing internally, or it has two separate individual channels of amplification, so there is a chance you are running the amp at 0.5ohm (1ohm total from the sub, which is then ran parallel internally on the amp to go down to 0.5ohm) which would explain the "huge gains" - the amp is working double time. it may work perfectly for the life of your truck, or it could cause the amp to blow and possibly damage both the amp and sub, maybe even parts of the rest of the system (not sure how the factory systems are wired, i ripped it all out as soon as i got my truck).

Last edited by nineball; 05-10-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlet
That's cool. Glad it worked out. I ordered mine and it's on the way now. Expect to have it by this weekend. I got the Pioneer 8" shallow mount in an enclosure (TS-SWX2002). I'll be using the stock Sony Amp. I know there are four wires for the stock Sub because it has dual voice coils. The Pioneer has the spring clips for the wires. I'm sure it wouldn't matter which pair of the four wires I use to hook up the Pioneer Sub. But would that diminish the power going to the Sub? Or could I hook the two positive and negative wires together to make one each, then attach them to the Pioneer Sub? Anyone do this?....I've already installed my other Pioneer speakers in the truck and I'm anxious to get this Subwoofer in....
yes, you would receive less power using that sub. obviously each case is different but using the most simple terms if you have an amp that does ~200 @ 1ohm it will do around ~100 @ 2ohm and ~50 @ 4ohm (power is not linear but for the purposes of this discussion it will do), and your sub is a single voice coil 4ohm version. just my opinion but i think you would be best served getting a small amp that would be appropriate for your sub/enclosure. here are a couple cheap ones that would work nicely:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CXA....html?tp=35834

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R25....html?tp=35834

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRV....html?tp=35834

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136994....html?tp=35834

you may be able to find cheaper prices on other sites or even from vendors but no one can match the customer service that you get from crutchfield.

-edit-

here are even cheaper ones from their outlet. you will have to be mindful of the warranty changes, if any, from their outlet. they both produce a little more power than those listed above and you will be fine using any of the ones i have linked in this post.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMA...702.html?cc=07

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC...207.html?cc=07

Last edited by nineball; 05-10-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I do appreciate it. But another Amp just isn't in the cards for me right now. I've spent what little money I had, so I'm stuck with the stock Subwoofer Amp for now. I'd like to know if it is better to use just one set of the four wires going to the stock Sub from the Amp?, or could I combine the two positive wires, and the two negative wires together to make one positive and negative to hook up the new Sub? I suppose I could open up the Pioneer enclosure and wire it direct, but I really don't want to do that.....
Old 05-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Been doing some more research on trying to decided if I want to use one pair of wires coming from the Sony Sub Amp, or both together. Still not sure how to wire the Sub up. I believe the Sony Amp is a single channel Amp? but has four wires going to the stock Sub. The Pioneer pre loaded enclosure I got is rated at 4 Ohm with one set of push terminals on the side for hooking it up. It uses the TS-SW2002D2 Subwoofer which is a DVC, with each coil at 2 Ohm each. But I don't know how it's wired internally, or how to safely hook it up to the Amp. If I damage the Amp or Sub I won't be able to replace it, at least for a while....
Old 05-17-2018, 11:07 AM

I've been checking out various F150 sites, and searching relentlessly on the net. There isn't much info, per se, on the Sony Sub Amp because everyone removes it in favor of an aftermarket Amp. From what I can see the stock Sub Amp is a 2 Ohm, single channel Amp. But nothing states if that's per set of leads for each Voice Coil to the Sub, or if that's cumulative. If the rain lets up I may go out with my multi-meter and check. But still haven't found an answer yet on if I can connect each "+" and "-" together for one lead each?.....
Old 05-17-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

NineBall is correct. It is wired wrong. Take those jumpers off.

Quick Reply: Using stock Sub Amp to power new Sub upgrade