Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Upgraded base vs factory B&O audio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upgraded base vs factory B&O audio?

I have an 18 F150 with the Sync 3, nav, standard 7 speaker system and the optional factory Kicker subwoofer and am looking to upgrade. I heard good things about the new B&O system and was a little disappointed to not be able to get one with it but this is the truck I got and so far I'm happy with it. Keeping a limited budget in mind, what would it take to get my system sounding better than the B&O? And regarding the sub, how does the factory optional Kicker sub compare with the one that you get in the B&O? I'm pleased that the factory Kicker sub is hidden away already integrated into the factory radio and would like to keep it (plus it was a $695 option that I don't want to rip out and try to sell for a fraction of that price). I assume replacing the door speakers are the first best upgrade but not sure after that. Would it be easy to add an amp to factory head unit and any other measures improve sound quality? I have a 3.5 ecoboost and read somewhere that there an issues with start/stop feature and using aftermarket amps. That's one of the reasons why I'm fine with my Kicker sub since it's already programmed and works fine. Also, I am not sure what to do about the tweeters in the pillar and the lone center speaker in the dash. I appreciate your help.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 487 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by raminator08
I have an 18 F150 with the Sync 3, nav, standard 7 speaker system and the optional factory Kicker subwoofer and am looking to upgrade. I heard good things about the new B&O system and was a little disappointed to not be able to get one with it but this is the truck I got and so far I'm happy with it. Keeping a limited budget in mind, what would it take to get my system sounding better than the B&O? And regarding the sub, how does the factory optional Kicker sub compare with the one that you get in the B&O? I'm pleased that the factory Kicker sub is hidden away already integrated into the factory radio and would like to keep it (plus it was a $695 option that I don't want to rip out and try to sell for a fraction of that price). I assume replacing the door speakers are the first best upgrade but not sure after that. Would it be easy to add an amp to factory head unit and any other measures improve sound quality? I have a 3.5 ecoboost and read somewhere that there an issues with start/stop feature and using aftermarket amps. That's one of the reasons why I'm fine with my Kicker sub since it's already programmed and works fine. Also, I am not sure what to do about the tweeters in the pillar and the lone center speaker in the dash. I appreciate your help.
Start with the door speakers. Disconnect the center channel speaker. You can add an amp if you want to the door speakers. If you want more bass then you will need to replace the existing sub.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any benefit with changing the tweeters? I saw stage3motorsports has a Kicker KS series package, would that be a worthwhile upgrade?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:44 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Sometime soon I'll be removing my B&O system completely if you want to purchase it.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by raminator08
Any benefit with changing the tweeters? I saw stage3motorsports has a Kicker KS series package, would that be a worthwhile upgrade?
Yes. The tweeters are the same crap ones the Sony system used. Better tweeters make a pretty big difference if you are doing a speaker swap.

You don't have to get the Kicker package, Crutchfield will tell you which ones fit and there are many to choose from. In all cases you'll need to either hot-glue them in or use a backstrap (the latter is probably easier) and posi-tap the speaker wire, since there aren't adapters for them.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by planetix
Yes. The tweeters are the same crap ones the Sony system used. Better tweeters make a pretty big difference if you are doing a speaker swap.

You don't have to get the Kicker package, Crutchfield will tell you which ones fit and there are many to choose from. In all cases you'll need to either hot-glue them in or use a backstrap (the latter is probably easier) and posi-tap the speaker wire, since there aren't adapters for them.

Is it okay to install after market tweeters, or even keep the stock tweeters hooked up if you are running 2 or 3 way speakers in the front doors? Also does anyone know if the B&O system uses better tweeters than the stock/Sony tweeters?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by GP-SE
Is it okay to install after market tweeters, or even keep the stock tweeters hooked up if you are running 2 or 3 way speakers in the front doors? Also does anyone know if the B&O system uses better tweeters than the stock/Sony tweeters?
Yes, as you quoted me, the tweeters appear to be the same They look the same, anyway, though there's no model number on either so hard to say exactly - but they aren't great.

If you are doing a straight speaker swap with the B&O (i.e. keeping the stock amp/DSP/etc.) it's worth it to replace the tweeters in addition to the doors, and possibly the center as well (or disconnect it). Get good, efficient speakers if you are doing this, like the Infinity Primus series, to make the most of the power you'll have available.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Any idea where you read that information about the start/stop causing issues with amps?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:58 AM

Kicker's VSS system originally had a problem with start/stop cutting it off - they had to release an updated model that works with it. You can check the model info on their website.

For aftermarket amps, search the site. Mostly boils down to A) Connecting power to the accessory BMS terminal on the battery and not the positive terminal itself and B) tapping the correct fuse (36, I think) for the amp turn on wire.

There are various threads posted here with owners who have had trouble with start/stop along with solutions posted.
The following users liked this post:
PistolWhip (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TOYSTRY
Sometime soon I'll be removing my B&O system completely if you want to purchase it.
Did you remove your B &O System yet? If you have, can you post pics of the B&O speakers? I'm curious how all the speakers look compared to the base speakers.

Quick Reply: Upgraded base vs factory B&O audio?